Thread: AMD vs INTEL

AMD vs INTEL

Just wondering for gaming servers mostly but all around I guess I would like the info

What is better a dual xeon or an amd opteron?

thank you very much hope to recieve more then a few inputs with some detailed examples.
    eXeGaming : Professional Gaming Organization

Depends what specs each have. Xeons are proven to be good. While opteron have had a few problems as a partner of AMD.

This has been discussed up and down, left and right, forward and backwards. The conclusion I have come from all the discussion is there are people that think Intel stinks, and people that think AMD stinks and the middle of the road folks. I don't believe there is a definitive answer.

Yea i agree

Im not sure about the Xeon's, but with gaming servers intel cpu's have been known to hit 100% cpu usage while switching maps. AMD does not.

I dont really swing either way, but freinds of mine that do gaming servers swear by amd for the very reason above.

Thats my 2 cents on the subject....
    ~Marque

Well Opterons are the better of the two. If it was Xeon vs Dual Athlon MPs then I would say Dual Xeons. However, this is not the case. Dual Opterons have beat the tar out of Xeons in almost EVERY benchmark you can throw at it. Its a better server. One thing you might want to check out is which OS is installed on it though. I would check out Fedora Core 2 for AMD64. If your a bit of a linux guru then try Gentoo for AMD64. Mysql has a AMD64 optimized version as well so thats a major plus if your running dedicated database server ( which you should be if your serious about any type of business. )

Regards,
    POO

Just to add onto hooflung's post, for another 64 bit platform, you might want to check out suse 9.1. Its preatty stable and a decent server.

IMHO, I still like fedora over suse, but suse is still a very good server OS.
    ~Marque

For the most part, I see it this way:

Windows was built on AMD processors and tends to run better on amd's

I'm a big fan of AMD, but I've had much more luck using my Intel Celeron for running any type of server on linux, which ran poorly in windows.

Personally I would go with the Opteron solution. Depending on how floating-point intensive your game server is, the superior floating point units on the Opteron can help a great deal.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

whos pocket book are we talking about?

mine always goes twords AMD no matter what
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Yes, and AMD is cheaper.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Dual Opterons have convinced everyone to be VERY successful in the server market. AMD is cheaper in price, and the performance is better imo.

- Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

It's a bit to early to tell with the Opterons.. Dual Xeons are still king in my books

ya, im with the opterons. they over weigh intel in most every catigory. the only thing better is a couple thousand doller itanium... and probably wont play all those games u want... i dunno.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=2
    had some more talk.

overall tho, opterons are cooler, faster (even at lower clock speeds ie clock for clock), and have greatly improved since back in the day. even adding processors greatly improves everything, doubleing up on xeons doesnt improve as much as an opteron.

mySQL is also a benifit... and games... ya, its really good with games. the 2ghz ones can compeat really well against 3ghz and up processors. that tells you something their.

not to mention the 64bit, and the memory upgrades you can do.