64 bit CPanel - Anyone have any experience?

Hey,

Im curious to know if anyone has been able to run cpanel in 64bit mode and to know if it is stable? I havent tried it yet, but would like to know if anyone has done it yet.

We are looking into getting a x86 64 bit box and would like to run Cpanel in 64 bit mode, but havent heard much about it.

I know that cpanel has a 64 bit build out...

If anyone could post what you know about this, It would definitly be helpful!

Thanks!
    ~Marque

I am gonna assume your using an Opteron or A64, and since these CPUs run 32 and 64bit code fine, I would think you would be ok. But have never tried.

That was my thought as well -- does Cpanel do anything that would require knowledge about the 32/64-bit nature of the system?
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Well we would be running a dual opteron box with fedora core 1 or 2 in 64bit.

We know that cPanel built a 64 version, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it.

I know that you can run cpanel in 32bit with the 64bit mode running, we just would like to see if it would run in 64bit and if there were any performance gains by it. I guess we would just like to get as much running in 64bit as possible, im not sure if there is a performance loss if the box is running in 64bit while applications are running in 32.
    ~Marque

from what i herd it is not to stable.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I'm running it on a few boxes (Can't do much if the customer wants a opteron rig, and CPanel). It's *very* sad and sorry.

Worst part is, in CPanel's bugzilla, theres a couple of open tickets that haven't even been assigned/responded to in > 1 month, which are in relation to serious issues (eg. no frontpage support) for the CPanel/64, and theres apparently nothing being done to fix this. Reminds me of our last attempt installing CPanel on a FreeBSD server ~8 months ago.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Sad to see I'm digging up a thread this old. Someone @ CPanel seriously needs to address the issues though, more so, I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about it.

Stupid question but is there any real advatange for normal shared hosting customers to have 64 bit support as I've been racking it over and the things like large file size, huge amounts of ram etc just don't seem to be advantageous

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Originally posted by jvds
    Stupid question but is there any real advatange for normal shared hosting customers to have 64 bit support as I've been racking it over and the things like large file size, huge amounts of ram etc just don't seem to be advantageous

Rus
    Mostly the fact that the Opteron servers use 64 bit processors. By running 32 bit only, you're not utilizing the processor efficiently.

Granted based on the response we've gotten from DarkORB thus far, and the current state of CPanel 64 (specifically apache/its modules), I'm tempted to say fsck it, and install Fedora Core 2, non-64 bit.

I've got a couple of Opterons in 32 bit mode with C-Panel and the run nice and quick. Just wonder how much extra 64bit will really give...

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Originally posted by jvds
    I've got a couple of Opterons in 32 bit mode with C-Panel and the run nice and quick. Just wonder how much extra 64bit will really give...

Rus
    They can only hope to give you extra if they actually run.

I've been up for roughly 4 hours now fixing a CPanel box. Right now, I've got apache up, and I'm recompiling apache repeatedly, adding/removing modules, trial and error to see which I can get working. Once I give up, I'm filing a ticket with DarkORB to complain about the others and let them botch it all up. Needless to say, I think you've made the right choice, at least for now, and would strongly suggest you dont attempt the 64 bit, unless you've got time to waste, and a spare server you dont happen to need for awhile.