completely clueless

hi... my name's john - recently i've just been buying and selling domains...and while that's profitable, i want to move into actually developing some of the domains i have.
    however, i don't have a clue how to go about doing it. i basically want to set up simple sites and just plop some google adsense or affiliate links on there for income....
    so, i need hosting. this is where i'm lost. i don't know how much space i need (i'm planning on having 5-6 fairly simple sites, no databases, but i alos need stat tracking) , i don't know really how hosting works, and i don't know what i woul dhav eto know to manage the hosting and what not... also there's the problem of web design and all that stuff too....don't know much about web design either....
    i'm not made of money, and i'm not looking for advertisers to write me and tell me i should buy their stuff, i'm just looking for a CLUE. gratefully,

Hello John,

Getting a website LIVE would not really need much knowledge of web site design and hosting on your part, specially is the websites are going to be as simple as you describe them to be.

Just make sure you pick a good host. Preferably one which offers some sort of online site building tool and thats it (Statistic tracking will usually come standard) From there on I guess it should take a few more clicks to set it all up.

Wish you good luck.

With best regards,
    Mediopia Technologies, Inc - Call Toll Free (24 x 7): 1-877-807-HOST
    Windows and Linux Reseller and Shared Web Hosting Plans
    SiteStudio, ASP,, PHP, CGI, Coldfusion MX 6.1, Frontpage, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL ...

Atlanta, Jawja
    I would actually recommend a small reseller package, with WHM access, if you want to give each site it's own stats tracking. There's several folks around here that can offer that to you, just remember the "golden rule" for pricing... if you want a stable host that's going to be around for a few years, go with a plan that averages out to be $1.00 to $2.50 per gig of bandwidth. Also, do searches on here and google for anyone that you're interested in.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

If you want to start out small on a reseller account with an excellent provider I would recommend These guys provided VPS hosting, and this is their reseller/single hosting division. They are excellent. You can start off small and work your way up. Their smallest plan is around 3 or 4 dollars. I wouldn't however compare this plan which gives you around 3 or 4 gigs of space with another plan which gives you 15 to 20 gigs for the same price. What you gain in bandwidth( something you don't need at this point) you lose in service with these other companies.

I am not going to suggest a host, but I do say get a small reseller package. With that iy can control the websites yourself and set them up as needed. Once you sell the site, you could charge the people to use your webspace or just send them the site in a zip and then delete it from your reseller account.

I would suggest forming some kind of partnership with a webhosting firm and a design firm. With that you can find a host that woud host your sites for a small fee or commission based, and some begining designers are willing to do designs for minimal amounts.

Best of luck,
    Lee W.
    Lee W.

Mountain View, CA
    $1.00 to $2.50 per gig of bandwidth? How much bandwidth do you think a host should offer?

Granted, most people won't use that amount, but you run huge risks if you expect the average customer to use that much.

A T1 connection is like a fat pipe. It's quite big, but can only hold so much. If too many customers are allowed too much transfer, eventually you'll create a clog.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

EU - east side
    $1.00 to $2.50 per gig of bandwidth?
    Yes Hurga... By WHT standards that could be considered expensive actually.

I paid a visit to Interesting pricing... definitely you don't market on WHT.