PSP 8 - How to edit the background out of an image?

Hello,

Let's say I'm designing a hosting plan box, and need a dedicated server image to put inside. The server background is white, the plan box is blue. How would I take the white background out of the server image and paste it into the plan box? Would it be the same for a multi colored background?
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604

There many ways to do this task. Easy way use Polygonal Lasso Tool or Magic Wind Tool for this.
    You can also use pen tool for this.

Id prefer the magic wand tool, you can select mulit items or colors on a img and then press delete

Ok I did the magic wand thing and have the image cut out, but the background is white. How do I get the background I want behind it? I tried copying the image and pasting over the main background that I wanted and cutting from there to reveal the layer below, but that didn't work. Any suggestions?
    Cory Pippen
    1-866-611-3604

can you send me your image so i do it for you and send you its PSD.

As mentioned, there are quite a few ways of approaching this, but I think in this case, it would be easiest to use the polygon lasso tool.

Lasso the image that you want to cut out, the click edit > copy. Now create a new image the size that you need (you can either use a transparent background, or set it as white and then fill it with whatever color you need). Click edit > paste and you should be good to go

Hope that helps!

For a transparent background:

1. open the image
    2. select all (CTRL+A) and copy (CTRL+C)
    3. open new image sized to the cut image (CTRL+N) and choose transparant background
    4. paste the image
    5. use your lasso tool to do the cut-out

shortcuts, open image, hold down ctrl and hit A, C, N (choose transparant), V, lasso away

Also, try the magic wand. It has a cool little trick at the top called tolerance, raise this number to give the magic wand tool more (or less) sensitive. It will get you pretty darn close to the edges of what you want to cut out, then just a bit playing around with an eraser, or lasso tool, and your done about 40% faster.

wallah!

Originally posted by eglim
    can you send me your image so i do it for you and send you its PSD.
    You did see he's using PSP 8, right? Not Photoshop 8...Paint Shop Pro. In my experience with PSP, it doesn't work completely happily with PSD's...

Aaah, I missed that too, sorry. Disreguard my message above, it's for Photoshop :/

Originally posted by NCLTodd
    Aaah, I missed that too, sorry. Disreguard my message above, it's for Photoshop :/
    lol, thanks anyway
    Cory Pippen
    1-866-611-3604

Originally posted by Ballistix
    Lasso the image that you want to cut out, the click edit > copy. Now create a new image the size that you need (you can either use a transparent background, or set it as white and then fill it with whatever color you need). Click edit > paste and you should be good to go
    If you are using the above method, also make sure that your "feather" setting is set to 1~2 to get a smooth image outline when you copy & paste it to a new background.

Regards.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!