Thread: TMS Down

TMS Down

My servers on Yipes + TP Bandwith are running okay. HE.NET bandwith seems to have gone though... I cant access www.tailormadeservers.com but some other servers I know using TMS HE.NET bandwith are running, whats the situation for anyone else?

My Server = http://www.netsender.co.uk (216.66.21.100) is up fine.

Cant get to TMS homepage though

Subnet 216.66.18.x seems to have gone to pot on he.net bandwidth

But 216.66.19.x on he.net bandwidth is ok. Hopefully TMS are fixing as they must have noticed it - cant find there direct line number when i need it.

How (as in likely possible scenarios) does a subnet go to "pot"?

I'm a little new at this--but I've heard that often times hosts go down because of one guy spamming--then the provider at the top gets complaints and everyone goes down with the ship. Could this be one of those scenarios? I don't know if this is the case--but it sure would be useful to know what possible scenarios I am looking at.

As a reseller of a reseller of a reseller, I do not really know who I am dealing with up the ladder.

Any advice is appreciated. Feel free to AIM or Yahoo me "yesiliveinaustin" as I would definitely like to invest time in, and advance in this industry in the most reputable way possible.
    Last edited by pjames; 05-24-2004 at 06:44 PM.

Weren't they supposed to have failover set up in case of issues like this?

- Matt

Jose is working on it. Told me he seems to be coming close to a fix.

Carl

Originally posted by Mango
    Jose is working on it. Told me he seems to be coming close to a fix.

Carl
    The fix shouldn't take this long. HE.net and Yipes were moved to the same router a little while ago. On March 8th, Jose said that the following would happen soon - "we will implement in a form of failover so that we have a redundant network". I guess almost 3 months later is not "soon".

- Matt

still down..

Originally posted by mainarea
    The fix shouldn't take this long. HE.net and Yipes were moved to the same router a little while ago. On March 8th, Jose said that the following would happen soon - "we will implement in a form of failover so that we have a redundant network". I guess almost 3 months later is not "soon".

- Matt
    Matt,

While I don't have any exact details of what's happening, the problem is not related to a provider but more to an individual subnet. AFAIK, whether it's BGP'ed or not, that doesn't matter; it's something on the routing level or so. I wish I could give you more details if I had them...

Carl

Originally posted by Mango
    Matt,

While I don't have any exact details of what's happening, the problem is not related to a provider but more to an individual subnet. AFAIK, whether it's BGP'ed or not, that doesn't matter; it's something on the routing level or so. I wish I could give you more details if I had them...

Carl
    Here's the issue:

"looks like a server gone berzerk... was spoofing all IP addresses, so the router didnt know where to send the traffic to. I had never seen that happen... and I was getting misleading messages from the router"

- Matt

I wish I had more details. There's definitely something to be learned here.
    Last edited by pjames; 05-24-2004 at 10:16 PM.

Apologies to everyone affected...

As Matt posted above, the root problem was a server that basically hijacked all of the IPs from that subnet, which ended up confusing the router. This caused the traffic to fluctuate from the correct machines to the one that did this.

The cause for the delay was finding the machine that was doing this, and with all the subnet acting up, we had a hard time connecting to the appropriate switch, since we can only do that from our main server, which as you know, was also affected since it's on the same subnet.

It is the first time something like this happens in our network, so that also made it hard for us to find out what exactly was causing this.

The issue has been resolved now and all service should be back to normal.

If your server(s) was affected, feel free to contact me for credits.

Apologies once again.

JoseQ