SSL Certificate...

Hi,

What does an SSL certificate do to your website; and in what way will you be using it? or the 128bit encrpytion?

Would communiites (or forums) use it?

Thanks.

from the top of my head : ssl stands for secure socket layer ... a certifcate is given to users to verify what they are downloading to their computer and sending delicate information is authentic.

XXX bit encryption allows your data to be encrypted such that no middle man can steal your information ie if they do it will not mean anything to them. The data is then decrypted on the other side to whom has the key to uncode it.

Hope that helps.

hmm, yes it does.

I don't think it would be handy for an online community then lol

and by the way cyrus, with this post we would have equal number of posts, heh.

thanks mate

good thing it helped. Its normally for transactions online which need to be done safely. Someone has also made encryption for msn messenger so the troops can talk to family back home easily. Its generally used for anything thats needs to send/receive data without an interception which whome can modify, delete or change completely. Im sure a forum would not need this much security !

Yes we could have had 124 posts each but its still showing up as 123 on your last post ... weird ...

And AIM, too!

lol I dont use AIM but yeh thats cool :p

I would like to be able to setup a VPN TUNNEL or some sort to secure everything i do online........

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!