Network Cable Nightmare

Hi guys.

I'm having huge trouble with my router network at home. I have succesfully wired 2 computers with internet access but the third and most important computer eludes me.

I have a wire going through 2 floors so it can't be removed. I need to be able to crimp the ends. I have been fine for 3 years but someone accidentally cut the wires so I need to re-do the network.

Anyways I show a connection with the long wire but no internet. If I bring the computer next to the router and use a short wire I made I get internet right away so I know the computer is setup correctly. I have re-done the crimps 10-20 times matching the color combination of the short wire but to no avail.

Here is a photo of the router and the colors I'm using assuming the clip is face down. Does it matter what order they are in as long as both ends are the same? Like I said I have succesfully done 2 other computers but for some reason the third one doesn't work. Also there are 3 lights on the router instead of one for this computer. I was told it's because it's a faster computer.

Anyways I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks

http://www.montrealracing.com/upload/cable1.jpg
    http://www.montrealracing.com/upload/cable2.jpg

Do you have a multimeter available? Or something to read resistance?
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

no not really.

Re: Network Cable Nightmare

Originally posted by DannyITR
    Hi guys.

I'm having huge trouble with my router network at home. I have succesfully wired 2 computers with internet access but the third and most important computer eludes me.

I have a wire going through 2 floors so it can't be removed. I need to be able to crimp the ends. I have been fine for 3 years but someone accidentally cut the wires so I need to re-do the network.

Anyways I show a connection with the long wire but no internet. If I bring the computer next to the router and use a short wire I made I get internet right away so I know the computer is setup correctly. I have re-done the crimps 10-20 times matching the color combination of the short wire but to no avail.

Here is a photo of the router and the colors I'm using assuming the clip is face down. Does it matter what order they are in as long as both ends are the same? Like I said I have succesfully done 2 other computers but for some reason the third one doesn't work. Also there are 3 lights on the router instead of one for this computer. I was told it's because it's a faster computer.

Anyways I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks

http://www.montrealracing.com/upload/cable1.jpg
    http://www.montrealracing.com/upload/cable2.jpg
    First things first.. Don't untwist the four pairs of wires.. This helps cut down on interference. The plastic around the CAT5 needs to meet up with the end when crimped.

Really as long as both sides are the same it doesn't mater on a straight though cable.. But its always good to go by standards...

Visit here: http://www.ukirlp.co.uk/documents/ne...-explained.php
    for an example...
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Maybe your network cable is snagged somewhere half way between the floors.
    Better to take it out and take a look/replace it.

Also make sure that as you're wiring, you're doing to "A" standards, not "B".
    Other than that, if its not working, and you're certain that you've connected it up properly, and none of the wires are touching outside of the actual socket, then you've screwed up further down the wire, or the signal is for whatever reason not reaching you (interference from other unshielded cables).

Also ... the max length on ethernet is approx. 300ft.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

EMI (electromagnetic interference) could also be an issue. Is there anything emitting EMI within proximity to the cabling job? Electric motors, etc?

no not really. I moved the computer next to the router and bought a brand new 50 ft cable. I tried to connect this but that didn't work either. The short wire still works though.

Seems like there might be an issue with the router ...
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

did you try a different port in the router, or even one of the existing working ones?

sounds like when the wires got "cut" perhaps they shorted out that port, or did damage of some sort to it?

How close are the other computers, from the router?
    The Hostworks:: Offering Managed and Unmanaged VPS
    Shared Web Hosting and Managed E-Mail security services.
    24/7 Support :: 10 year anniversary coming soon!