DRAC Card at TP/Total Control

Has anybody figured out already what you can do with these DRAC cards at TP/Total Control? - without having to login into Orbit.

Any way to directly access them? power up & down servers automatically, etc?

I was wondering about these servers too. (Total control)

From my understanding of having a few Dell machines is they come with the "smartmon" standard which from reading theplanets website seems to be the same thing as what they are advertising and calling it 'Total Control' Is this the same thing or something different?

Thanks

I'm curious, what Dell's actually come with DRAC III?

http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

There's a whole range of stuff you can do with DRAC cards.. Anyone know how many of those things are available through TP? Like 'Last screen capture', Automatic server recovery, Remote console redirection, graceful shutdown etc.

TP said that from orbit you will have ability just to reboot server if it is down - no access to drac card directly.

when server is up (when ips are up - network on server up) there will be access to drac by public ip.

this means there will be no access to remote console at boot state of the server - wich is wrong - EV1 gives access to drac eaven if server is on boot state.

i say one of most important functions of drac card is to have remote console at boot state - you can see why your server is not going up after reboot and fix it + much more.

noone need remote console when server is up - this card on TP will only be good for reboots - nothing else.
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

Originally posted by heavypredato
    TP said that from orbit you will have ability just to reboot server if it is down - no access to drac card directly.

when server is up (when ips are up - network on server up) there will be access to drac by public ip.

this means there will be no access to remote console at boot state of the server - wich is wrong - EV1 gives access to drac eaven if server is on boot state.

i say one of most important functions of drac card is to have remote console at boot state - you can see why your server is not going up after reboot and fix it + much more.

noone need remote console when server is up - this card on TP will only be good for reboots - nothing else.
    That is almost completely incorrect. Rebooting is one of the features of the remote access. If you read the post I made, you can do a lot more in http://totalcontrol.theplanet.com. In orbit it has limited functions such as hard reset, power cycle and power off and also gives a few readings of voltage and temperature.

Here is a screenshot of the front screen of totalcontrol administration NOT through orbit.
    http://img.imagetown.net/72905719.png

You'll notice there's a Serial Console as well as Secure Shell. You can use the Secure Shell for when server is up, or Serial Console even when it is in boot stage. I take it you are not a customer of The Planet but instead are making false accusations about their hardware...
    Last edited by HiVelocityFC; 05-24-2004 at 10:25 AM.

Originally posted by RaineTech
    That is almost completely incorrect. Rebooting is one of the features of the remote access. If you read the post I made, you can do a lot more in http://totalcontrol.theplanet.com. In orbit it has limited functions such as hard reset, power cycle and power off and also gives a few readings of voltage and temperature.

Here is a screenshot of the front screen of totalcontrol administration NOT through orbit.
    http://img.imagetown.net/72905719.png

You'll notice there's a Serial Console as well as Secure Shell. You can use the Secure Shell for when server is up, or Serial Console even when it is in boot stage. I take it you are not a customer of The Planet but instead are making false accusations about their hardware...
    you dont understand difference between drac card and totalcontrol administration portal - these are 2 different things.

server for 299$ (not dell) has totalcontrol administration portal.

servers for 349$ and up (dell) have drac cards not totalcontrol administration portal.

you dont understand difference between drac card and totalcontrol administration portal - these are 2 different things.

server for 299$ (not dell) has totalcontrol administration portal.

servers for 349$ and up (dell) have drac cards not totalcontrol administration portal.
    Erm, All servers of TP/SM are dell now just so you know. Even the $249/$299 ones. The $299/mo.+ servers have DRAC Cards as well, not just $349/mo.+ This is proven at http://www.theplanet.com/control/pro/index.html

In the above Dell page which I have reference, it reads

Ability to start the server, even from powered-down state. DRAC allows remote startup of the server so administrators can power up systems that are powered off at night or over a weekend. This capability reduces expenses and potentially makes administrators more productive.

Automatic server recovery. This feature watches the system to identify periods of inactivity that may indicate a hung condition. The server recovery, or watchdog, is a timer set by the user that counts down from X to 0, if enabled. If the recovery timer cannot talk with the operating system before reaching 0, it initiates a recovery action, ranging from "do nothing" to "reboot the system automatically." The recovery timer tries to talk with the system every second or so to ensure that the system is not hung. This proactive approach could yield higher availability.

Operating system down console access. DRAC can enable a remote session when the operating system is down.
    These seems like impressive features which would ensure that the server stays up.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Erm, All servers of TP/SM are dell now just so you know. Even the $249/$299 ones. The $299/mo.+ servers have DRAC Cards as well, not just $349/mo.+ This is proven at http://www.theplanet.com/control/pro/index.html
    ups i meant the 249$ server wich is not dell - i dont see drac card with it and no image powered by dell - its old rlx

and all the old rlx servers wich are not dell dont have drac cards just totalcontrol portal.

i know because i have RLX and new dell servers from them.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    In the above Dell page which I have reference, it reads

These seems like impressive features which would ensure that the server stays up.
    yes but TP will limit these features since you will not be able to use drac in boot state of server - and watchdog feature cant be configured from internet - just from local network with additional software.

ups i meant the 249$ server wich is not dell - i dont see drac card with it and no image powered by dell - its old rlx

and all the old rlx servers wich are not dell dont have drac cards just totalcontrol portal.

i know because i have RLX and new dell servers from them.
    Look on the front page of www.theplanet.com It says Powered by Dell. If you don't see it i'll take a screen shot in a little bit and show you. They just forgot to update the TC professional page. Originally yes, the $249/mo. was not Dell but now, everything TP/SM does that's new is dell.

Look on the front page of www.theplanet.com It says Powered by Dell. If you don't see it i'll take a screen shot in a little bit and show you. They just forgot to update the TC professional page. Originally yes, the $249/mo. was not Dell but now, everything TP/SM does that's new is dell.
    heh and what do you think they do with old rlx servers - they rent them for 249$ - its so hard to understand?

they dont forgot to update it since its totally new webpage design.

heh and what do you think they do with old rlx servers - they rent them for 249$ - its so hard to understand?

they dont forgot to update it since its totally new webpage design.
    What does ev1 do with all their old servers? Everything that ev1 sells is dell now...Ev1 either has specials with it or sells it locally.

What does ev1 do with all their old servers? Everything that ev1 sells is dell now...Ev1 either has specials with it or sells it locally.
    i think the 1.3 celerons are dell too for you

249$ servers on planet are rlx

heavypredato: this $249 deal doesnt make sense anyways: spend $50 more and get 1GB RAM extra and most of all, get SCSI

Originally posted by freeflight2
    heavypredato: this $249 deal doesnt make sense anyways: spend $50 more and get 1GB RAM extra and most of all, get SCSI
    yes i know - its just about that the dell has drac card and rlx has totalcontrol portal

Okay, here is the difference between EV1's offering, TP's Pro offer and TP's Enterprise offering:

EV1 & TP Enterprise (total control rackmounts): Dell in-band DRAC Access
    TP "Pro" Total Controls: They don't offer in-band access w/ these (no direct access to a DRAC IP). Virtually certain this kills the remote console access.

TP is setting up a "Pro" TC server for me right now, ill let you know exactly what the non-"in band" DRAC access is like.

I hope the hardware watchdog device is still functional (auto restart/recovery on crash). Not expecting remote console access.
    Tyler
    www.AdminZoom.com
    "Server Administration Done Right"

Server setup, hardening, migrations and more

heavy: i c... I can not see one of my boxes in orbit/TC - do these DRAC cards require their 2.4 kernel?

These boxes run even better with 2.6.6 (especially mysql) so I upgraded but can't see it in orbit/TC (do these cards require a linux module?)

these cards will be available in future - TP always sell something what is not working

The impression i got from sales was that it was working fine... guess I'll know soon enough.

Heck, remote reboot functionality alone would make me happy. Hardware watchdog wouldn't hurt either!
    Tyler
    www.AdminZoom.com
    "Server Administration Done Right"

Server setup, hardening, migrations and more

"ServerMatrix Watchdogs" admins are actually pretty quick usually... always rebooted my servers within minutes per escalation procdedure and checked the fsck, etc.

RainTech: how did you get the login to http://totalcontrol.theplanet.com ? I just tried it with our orbit login and it did not work and we have TC servers of all ranges.