Exclamation News :: Outbreak of a new strain of the deadly "ebola" virus in Southern Sudan.

Article extract >> SOURCE : SKY NEWS ONLINE

Teams of international scientists are travelling to southern Sudan, following an outbreak of a new strain of the deadly Ebola virus.
    World Health Organisation officials have traced an Ebola-like disease to the town of Yambio, in the Western Equatorial region of south Sudan.

Fifteen cases of the potentially fatal virus have been confirmed over the past fortnight and four people have died.

More than 100 others are being kept under surveillance.

Four people are in isolation at Yambio Hospital, so the total infected could still rise.

The Ebola virus in its early stages is hard to diagnose because some of the symptoms, like fever and joint pain, mimic malaria.

Many people go on to develop internal bleeding, a characteristic typical of Ebola, and without medical attention the prospects are bleak.

A crisis group has been set up with aid agencies in the region, in an attempt to curtail the spread.

The last major outbreak was in Uganda two years ago; hundreds died.

The hope is that quick action now will avert a similar crisis in southern Sudan.

End extract <<

Full article, no link.

I am sure that all of you realise the severity of this.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Originally posted by Critic

Opinions?? Comments??
    Mine is more of a question.....

I just wonder sometimes if anybody ever thinks about posting the good news that happens around the world for a change. Coming to the lounge is more often than not, a depressing experience. War arguments, political arguments, religious arguments, disease, famine, rape, homo-bashing etc.

Surely something good happened in the world today...... somewhere.

(nothing to do with you personally Critic, just a general observation from a very tired person)

Agreed... Most of the news are about negative happenings!

Anyway, for a while I thought it was a virus. As in a computer virus. Thank goodness its not!

This has been there for a long time though.

I remember reading an article about a research on chimpanzees. They placed a tv in a room full of chimps and then showed various different kinds of programs. Some of the shows were too violent and noisy with fights, car chases and gun fights while others were not violent or noisy and had slow moving images with pleasant sound. It seems the chimps enjoyed the fact action movies with violence and noise and during the slow movies they hardly showed any interest in the show.

About the virus: last time there was a plague like outbreak in India they alleged CIA was secrectly conducting biological weapons field tests lol

Well i don't think there is any external involvement here; there have been ebola outbreaks before but a new strain is always something of note. There's no actual cure for Ebola virus as yet and a new mutation only adds to the problem and the reduces the chances of thsoe infected with it most likely.

There's never really been a major cross border outbreak from what i know but if there was and especially in an urban area it would make SARS look like the common cold probably.

On the negative news issue, well there is some of that but then there's also been some upbeat happier political news at times although you can only post the news that breaks. I do have an "Offbeat" news category that pops up from time to time though

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info