Thread: Hacked?

Hacked?

I have cable access to the internet, so that makes me a nice target for a cracker. I have tried running Firewalls (Zone Alarm, etc) but they were causing quite a few problems with my computer so I had to get rid of them. Supposedly, the router that my mom has connected to my computer to give her laptops internet has a built in firewall, but my comp is connected directly to the cable (don't know if that makes a difference). Anyhow, I logged onto my yahoo mail today, and there were 7 failed deliveries to users I'd never sent an e-mail to. To make matters more fishy, they all started with an "a" and were mostly names of people. Here is an example of one:

Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:24:17 -0500
    Subject: DELIVERY FAILURE: User adriana_metcalfe (adriana_metcalfe@ars.aon.com) not listed in public Name & Address Book
    To: squash555@yahoo.com

Your message

Subject:

was not delivered to:

adriana_metcalfe@ars.aon.com

because:

User adriana_metcalfe (adriana_metcalfe@ars.aon.com) not listed in
    public Name & Address Book

Message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns;usgtwcst02.aon.com

Final-Recipient: rfc822;adriana_metcalfe@ars.aon.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Notes; User adriana_metcalfe
    (adriana_metcalfe@ars.aon.com) not listed in public Name & Address Book

I know that crackers like to use others with high bandwith to spam, so that is what my fear is. Is there anything I can do? Thanks,

~Syke

Processor Type: AMD Athlon
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows ME v4.90 build 3000

sounds like you might be infected with one of those email virus. Windows me is not a very big target for hackers
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    sounds like you might be infected with one of those email virus. Windows me is not a very big target for hackers
    I recently uninstalled Norton (the subscription had run out a few weeks ago), and downloaded the free version of AVG in its place. I'll run it and see if anything comes up. And I can see why hackers wouldn't like ME, who the hell would?

biggest reason me is not a big target is theres alot less exploits. nt and up (xp,2000,2003) have rpcdcom, lasass etc
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    biggest reason me is not a big target is theres alot less exploits. nt and up (xp,2000,2003) have rpcdcom, lasass etc
    Well I ran the test, and no viruses showed up. Any suggestions on what to do?

It is likely that someone with whom you've exchanged emails is infected with a virus which is making the email appear as if it came from your email address to make it look legit. Unfortunately, aside from keeping your machine up to date and virus free, there is not alot you can do.

PS - Maybe show the email headers to an expert so that you can find the PC that is infected and contact the ISP.
    Avi B