is 150 emails/hour a reasonable limit?

due to viruses and spam ipowerweb have "permanently" reduced their email/hour limit to 150/hour. This has been a huge headache. I have what must be an itty bitty list compared to most, about 1200 subscribers to a weekly community newsletter. I used to send it out (using Dada Mail) by sending one email every 9 seconds. This worked fine. Now I have to set it to 1 every 30 seconds and it seems that the mailing times out or something, I don't get a completion email and lots of people have emailed to say they're not getting their email.
    Without this newsletter my website is dead (the website is an extension of the newsletter).

So is 150 reasonable? What are other hosts doing? Otherwise I like ipowerweb but this might force me to move.

I think it's a reasonable number if you don't have a mailing list. Have you contacted them to see if they will make an exception so that you can operate your mailing list correctly?
    Michael @ Qualserv Networks
    www.qualserv.net - quality hosting since 1998!

Bringing Web Hosting to a Personal Level

150 is what we have ours set too.

Some clients however are moved to a different server if they wish to have a list higher then 150.
    Sang P. Ma
    President/VizHost.Com, Inc.
    http://www.vizhost.com

I hadn't asked this straight out given that there have been nearly 30 emails back and forth btw us on the subject I assumed that if this was an option they'd have offered. But as they say, never assume so I have now asked straight out.

150/hour is a reasonable limit as a basic guide, but most hosts should be willing to make exceptions, if they can and know how. I have a customer with a small-sized forum, which occasionally does fifty emails in an hour from private message, email, and reply notifications alone; I can easily see how a moderate-sized forum would be frequently hitting 150 or more messages an hour.

Of course, some hosts limit the number of emails sent to inhibit spam, while others (I expect) do it to minimize the load on the server...
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

I am glad my host hasn't complained. I have done over 80k emails in one day. And in some cases email is backed up 2 to 3 days lol.

Once the forum sent a message to someone. their hotmail box was full. It bounced. For some odd reason auto responder was on. So the auto responder replied to the bounce. Mailer [email protected]
    Hotmail sent a reply saying sorry this email does not recive messages and my autoresponder replied and so on and so on for 2 days before the server started to lagg and the host realized what had happened. Hotmail blacklisted us lol but an email to them fixed it.

I set ours at 500/an hour, no one comes near it, and no spam is sent hopefully
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

Hardwaregeek: What mail server is your host using? Most mail serves have a catch to prevent it from looping such as Exim which all Cpanel hosts uses.

We set it at 250 and we make exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by sprintserve

seems reasonable.

cheers

wow thats almost like comcast putting a 30 email per day limit on accounts and suspending them if they exceed. (Happend to one of my clients).

Now the client has a list of 350k and sends them under 1 day.

I would outsource your mailling list to a provider that dont care how many emails you push a day unless the current provider will make an exception for you.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers

Well if a client has a mailing list of 350k, he really should be getting his own dedicated. Depending on his list and how clean it is, the bounces, plus the sending out, can kill a lot of servers including powerful dual xeons if the script isn't friendly on the processing and tries to force out as many emails as possible at a shot.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Of course he has fully managed servers (dedicated). The system is running FreeBSD and handles the load under 2.0 while pushing his emails.

I'm just saying maybe he should think about grabbing a dedicated server from someone where they will allow him to push the email he needs too without running into problems.

Can proboly get something like that for 50-100$/month.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by sprintserve
    Hardwaregeek: What mail server is your host using? Most mail serves have a catch to prevent it from looping such as Exim which all Cpanel hosts uses.

Not sure right now he recently updated it. this happened a year ago the first day I was on his server

He can try to setup 1 web server and 1 mail server which should handles the load

My host has finally got back to me and said no exceptions to the 150 limit. Cheerily they also told me to go find a script that will send mail in batches - Maddening as I have been telling them all along what software I use for this, what batch sizes/schedules I've been using and asking them for help checking the mail server logs to se while my mailings now appear to be timing out. Many of the tech support don't read/write English too well and none of them are bothering to read the entire correspondence so I am runing round in circles trying to sort this out.

That's a shame... It's hard to believe that web hosts can be so unwilling to help out a client with something.

We put a 2000 per day limit per customer, on our regular mail servers.

Instead of making exceptions (let's face it, you lose customers when you start making exceptions), we simply have seperate email servers that people can pay to be put on, and the limits are higher, but never higher than 4000 per day.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

It might be time for you to start looking for another provider. I send out a list of around 1700 per month on one list and about 500 on another. I consider my list small fry and would be very upset if I could only send 250 per day... unless I could send all in one day and consider that my daily monthly min.

The limitations seems unreasonable... also unreasonable to make someone pay extra to send non-spam (double opt-in) e-mails, if you have never had any spam complaints.

If they have the rules then follow them, but start looking for another host who will be more than happy to help you in your hosting needs.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Well, after more than 30 emails back and forth over the last 2 weeks and still no helpful answers I called tech support (expensive cos I'm overseas) to find the limit is not 150 as I have been told by 3 different techies but only 50 per hour! Apparently I can 'upgrade' to vDeck (about which I know nothing) and up my limit to...wait for it...a whole 100 per hour.

I am still no further forward in figuring why the mailing appears to be timing out...sigh..and very fed up

A lot of hosts do place limits to stop the spammers - mine caps it at 100 per hour.

You might want to move the ML to a separate webhost instead? Use the hostquote function on WHT and remember to specify that you need to send a large amount of email for your newsletter, so you need to know if they have a cap or are willing to work with you.

Originally posted by code_renegade
    A lot of hosts do place limits to stop the spammers - mine caps it at 100 per hour.
    I disagree with this. I do think a web host should take responsiblity for the emails being sent out from their clients. However, it's pretty easy to monitor new clients and make sure they are not sending out spam.

I don't see a need for 150/hour limits - if a web host offers mailing lists then they should support the sending of emails through these mailing lists. If they need to restrict emails to 150/hour to preserve server resources then maybe they should just remove the newsletter feature entirely.