And the most stupid idea of the year award goes to.....

....Jaguar!

I couldn't believe this when I read it. Just where exactly does a promotional idea go too far?

Jaguar thought it would be a good idea to stick two 200,000 ($360,000) diamonds to the front of two F1 cars and race them around Monaco. One of the cars crashed, and they lose the diamond.

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong... but isn't the front of a car that is capable of going several hundred miles an hour just the worst place to be putting such a diamond??

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...p?story=524300
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

The sponsors were the idiots But it doesn't hurt them at all

LOL stupid but comon 200k is nothing for these big-time players...
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

Originally posted by Aea
    Yeah seriously, if anything its free publicity!

Yep, it generated news coverage. It wouldn't have gotten so much coverage without the crash.

But, shortly after the beginning of the race, Austrian Christian Klien, a newcomer to the Formula One scene, crashed his car nose-first into a guard rail.

Why would they have a rookie driving with the 200,000 diamond on the front of the car?

Actually, when you think about it, $200,000 is an absolute bargain compared to what it would have cost in paid ads to get this type of worldwide publicity. Don't be surprised if the crash was staged...

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by Aea
    Yep... assuming that by "them" you mean it doesn't hurt Jaguar. The Jaguar team spokesman does say, according to article that it was his idea... but it shouldn't be called the stupidest idea of the year since he also says the sponsor will take the loss. So KualoJo's Stupidest Idea Award should go to Steinmetz even though it wasn't their idea originally!

So... somewhere on the streets of Monaco there's a huge flawless diamond. Those streets will be swept cleaner than ever before.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by vito
    Actually, when you think about it, $200,000 is an absolute bargain compared to what it would have cost in paid ads to get this type of worldwide publicity. Don't be surprised if the crash was staged...
    Heh... interesting theory. But don't forget that it's costing more than the $200,000 the diamond dealer is out; how depends on how badly the car is damaged.

Of course, while I don't know Jaguar's F1 budget, some of these teams (Ferrari, for example) spend over $500 million a season -- so $200,000 isn't really that much.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Racing is huge business with huge budgets. The cost of repairing the car added to the cost of the diamond still pales in comparison to the coverage they're getting. Just think of how nationally aired 30 second spots easily cost $50-100,000 any day of the week. Here they not only have ALL the news wires picking it up, but then they have people talking about it (like in this thread).

They're marketing geniuses. (Hmm, I wonder if they're the same brilliant media group behind the "wardrobe malfunction" scandal?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by JayC
    So... somewhere on the streets of Monaco there's a huge flawless diamond. Those streets will be swept cleaner than ever before.
    Heh, indeed!

Originally posted by JayC
    But don't forget that it's costing more than the $200,000 the diamond dealer is out; how depends on how badly the car is damaged.
    We are talking pounds sterling here people

Not US dollars

Not like it makes much difference to these players though

Yes it certainly hast turned into a good PR stunt, whether or not it was intended is impossible to say, but as you guys have pointed out if it wasn't intended to fall off it seems to be a bit of an outlandish idea, especially placing a rookie driver at the wheel.

I love the way The Independent put this:

The cost of insuring a 200,000 diamond to be driven at hundreds of miles an hour in a Formula One race would have been prohibitive.
    Fuelled with sarcasm...

BTW, if anyones interested, you can see the diamond here:

http://www.jaguar-racing.com/
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

Brilliant, brilliant marketing. Although they have ridiculously large ad budgets, I hear a lot of these companies are starting to look at more creative methods of advertising. This is one prime example.

I hope they didn't ask the drive to crash intentionally though

This is very, very true. For example, people are advertsing free of charge for Jaguar. Like you.