Thread: Top UK Banks.

Top UK Banks.

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find a list of top uk banks? I believe there was 5, but as RBS merger with NatWest caused it to be 4? [Retails only].

I want to see which one offers the best online e-commerce support.

Thanks.
    - Abbas

At a guess i would say it was:
    Barclays
    Natwest/RBS
    Midland
    Lloyds
    Regards, Sam. www.protecweb.co.uk
    Windows Shared and Reseller Hosting with ASP.Net, MS SQL 2008, PHP, MySQL5 and more.
    Providing quality web hosting and support since 2001.

Originally posted by protecweb
    At a guess i would say it was:
    Barclays
    Natwest/RBS
    Midland
    Lloyds
    1 HSBC
    2 Barclays
    3 NatWest
    4 Lloyds TSB

Originally posted by xplora03
    1 HSBC
    2 Barclays
    3 NatWest
    4 Lloyds TSB
    Fantastic...

Could you please tell me where you obtained this information from?

Thanks a lot.
    - Abbas

Originally posted by abbas
    Fantastic...

Could you please tell me where you obtained this information from?

Thanks a lot.
    This is just our opinion by the way. Mostly, we can see they have more branch than others and has branch to the nearest university and town center.

Same here, they are just renowned for being the biggest. If you go to any small town in the UK these are the ones you will see.
    Regards, Sam. www.protecweb.co.uk
    Windows Shared and Reseller Hosting with ASP.Net, MS SQL 2008, PHP, MySQL5 and more.
    Providing quality web hosting and support since 2001.

Natwest has the best online banking systen, IMHO.
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

I would think HSBC is better in terms of online banking system since there are more functions that you can use in the interface. Barclay might be secure (if not technically but by insurance).

Natwest is quite unsecure as there are some frauds that I have quite commonly seen via their online system.

Lloyds. Not very sure. hehe

i prefer HSBC and Halifax Online Banking. I am not sure for Llyods or Barclays since i do not have any bank account with them. The worst online banking that i ever seen is NatWest which its really lack of function.

i prefer HSBS as well. Natwest's online banking website has been phished for many times last year.

abbas, if u are going to start up a business with those banks, check CLEARLY the cost that going to spend. they have a full price list on their websites. like the fee for transfering, fee for cheque, monthly admin fee, etc.

HSBC online banking is awsome compared to most other systems I have used (quite a few including Abbey, A&L, Natwest etc). The "options for you" part of the ebanking is great and reguarly updated and the messaging and chat system is one of the fastest ways to gain live advice.

Also the statement about HSBC being "The worlds local bank" is true imho. My local branch are extremely helpful and any time I have a problem, I can just call in and ask to speak to Pam, one of the reps at the local branch, and she will help me with whatever I need help/advice with. It does feel good to know the people by names instead of just having to rely on the phone or a trainee working behind the counter.

Having said that, there are never queues on the phones either.

No wonder they made the largest profit of all worldwide banks last year
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Originally posted by Sash!
    No wonder they made the largest profit of all worldwide banks last year
    correct a mistake. HSBS made the largest profit in uk, no worldwide. the 1st one is citi bank and followed by duetsch bank.

Isn't the Swiss bank making the most profit in the world since they are serving the extreme riches.

Well just a guess

Wow, thanks for the info guys...

FYI:[list=1][*]I love Natwat Online banking....only problem is that you cant pay CC using other debit cards outside of Natwest.[*]Online banking is different then e-commerce support. I.e. HSBC may have little online banking support but fantastic ecommerce support....[/list=1]

Just to note, most banks give free business banking providing you keep within the certain limits of trading/transactions.

I have been looking at merchant accounts, but as comfirmed by WHT, its very expensive....and you have to call to get prices.

I have a friend who has a great online site offering templates. Hes making good money, but he likes using 2checkout and paypal. He says it would be more expensive to get a merchant account.

Anybody actually use UK merchant accounts????

Thanks a bunch.
    - Abbas

Thumbs up merchant account

Why dont you go to process54 it works

I'm with barclays now, was with HSBC but stopped after this year's problems.

Barclays give you 12 months free banking, a visa debit card; not an electron, a proper visa card that can be used anywhere you see the VISA logo and works internationally and after 12 months you can choose their automated payment scheme.

For web merchants this is brilliant, I never need to go to the bank or make cheques so all my money is handled by one bank account and i'm not being charged for it. They were also very helpful in giving me a separate high interest business account that I could put my VAT money in before the quarterly payment.

They also gave me some free time vouchers with a local solicitor and local accountant, both helped answer some of my basic questions. Also if I need anything I can speak directly to the Small Business team at my local branch or access the online banking pages.

Well it great that the bank can handle your needs.

nationwide anglia. is a building socity they have online banking.
    abby national. is a leading bank with all the trimmings.

if you live in london or any major uk city you will probley find a bank from every corner of the world that will host all the features and maybe more of a UK based bank. but you will have to enquire with your technicalitys before you can open an account.