Question 2checkout.com Emailed Me with this.

Dear Merchant,

The following comment was added by the 2CheckOut Team,

Hi,

This is a reminder that according to 2Checkout Supplier Agreement, Terms

of Service vendors must include on the web site the following verbiage

before you reach a point where credit card numbers need input.

"Goods and services provided by ___________, Sold by 2CheckOut.com Inc.

(Ohio, USA). "

The wording can be slightly different, but it must convey that the

Vendor is the supplier, but the product is sold by 2CO.

Thanks

[email protected]

[email protected]-------------
    What does this mean?

It means what you think it does, you have to include the above text on your site at some point before the customer has entered their credit card number.

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Ok, Thanks for clearing it up Andrew. I was a bit confused.

Its basically a way around being a 'third-party' processor in terms of CC regulations. The theory is you are their suplier for goods and services that they sell to your customers. Just like paysystems and their 'points' - the points magically and automatically get bought from paysystems, accepted by you as payment, and paysystems buys the points from you. Very, uh, je ne sais quoi.
    OmegaSphere - http://www.omegasphere.net/
    Vancouver co-location, Managed Services, Shared Hosting, SSL Certificates, Domain Names
    Your IT Experts - Located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada
    604-618-0543 - 866-618-0543 - [email protected]

very smart indeed

Originally posted by ddent
    Its basically a way around being a 'third-party' processor in terms of CC regulations. The theory is you are their suplier for goods and services that they sell to your customers. Just like paysystems and their 'points' - the points magically and automatically get bought from paysystems, accepted by you as payment, and paysystems buys the points from you. Very, uh, je ne sais quoi.
    What is the reason they do this again?

Thanks

Originally posted by ddent
    Ah but 2CO is not a third party processor 2 Check Out - fresh bull sh*t

Well they can't go around saying they are third party processors because the creditcard companies (MasterCard in the lead) are actively trying to eliminate third party processors.

It's a business model they no longer endorse and saying "hey lookie, I am a third party processor!" is a sure way to quickly go out of business.

Why are third party processors bad?

Originally posted by jezzomaster
    Why are third party processors bad?
    They are not *always* bad, it depends on your needs and the use.

Third party merchants were good for those who wanted to accept CC's but were not able to qualify for a merchant account due to being outside the US, business type, etc.

2CO has started stating that they are not a third party processor for the reason mentioned above. The rep from there, Tom, has been ignoring the question as to what they are classified as now.

Paysystems is converting their US accounts to merchant accounts as well. The CC companies are fed up with the third party merchants....PayPal included.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
    Well they can't go around saying they are third party processors because the creditcard companies (MasterCard in the lead) are actively trying to eliminate third party processors.
    The only place I have seen this comment, is on web hosting forums (and I do frequent some others ).

Is there a reference for it? I can't ever see it happening. Why would it? In fact, I believe it will get bigger and especially in non-US countries.

Gary

Originally posted by Matt
    2CO has started stating that they are not a third party processor for the reason mentioned above. The rep from there, Tom, has been ignoring the question as to what they are classified as now.
    Indeed. However, let's simplify it and use the "looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, maybe its a.... [duck] or [cow]" rule. Which one of the above fits?

It would be interesting to look at what SIC code the charges they place show up as.
    OmegaSphere - http://www.omegasphere.net/
    Vancouver co-location, Managed Services, Shared Hosting, SSL Certificates, Domain Names
    Your IT Experts - Located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada
    604-618-0543 - 866-618-0543 - [email protected]

Originally posted by AussieHosts
    The only place I have seen this comment, is on web hosting forums (and I do frequent some others ).

Is there a reference for it? I can't ever see it happening. Why would it? In fact, I believe it will get bigger and especially in non-US countries.

Gary
    What other forums do you visit?

Originally posted by jezzomaster
    What other forums do you visit?
    Real estate, investment and other miscellaneous forums...but that's hardly the point of my post.

Gary

Ok, thank you very much AussieHosts

Originally posted by Matt
    . . . Paysystems is converting their US accounts to merchant accounts as well. The CC companies are fed up with the third party merchants....PayPal included.
    Crikey, that's going to be a shakeup of sorts.

Won't effect me. Paysystems worked just dandy for me. I needed to charge in US$ and have recurring payments automated etc. It also made selling the business a absolute snap, as I just had to give the new HTTPme owners access to the Paysystems HTTPme MCC account, and didn't have to transfer ~1,000 client's billing to another billing platform.

It will be interesting to see what happens in this area in the coming months/years. I'll be gladly watching with interest, from the sidelines of property development.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

If they stop 3rd part processors, will PayPal and 2CO be obsolete?
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Originally posted by Yaser
    If they stop 3rd part processors, will PayPal and 2CO be obsolete?
    No, I imagine they will just adapt to a possible new environment that they find their business model in.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

maybe by then they will eliminate their status of being 3rd party processors and shift to the 2nd level so they dont have to rely on anyone. Imagine a 2CO and PayPal merger hehe
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Originally posted by AussieHosts

Gary
    Try this email I received from a company that is ofcourse NOT a third party processor:

Dear Mr X,

As you know Mastercard does not support the business model
    of aggregators, companies that process charges for other
    merchants and they are in the process of terminating service
    to all these companies. That's the reason we use a sales
    agent like WorldEmail.com to service your business under a
    supplier model, which according to our lawyers is completely
    according to Mastercard regulations.

At this moment Mastercard is questioning this business model
    and we and our banks are liable for high fines. Our banks
    and ourselves find it prudent to suspend the use of Mastercard
    until our lawyers have resolved the issue with Mastercard to
    avoid any penalties. We are confident that our business model
    is correct and hope to have Mastercard available shortly again.

Please contact our support staff by replying to this support
    ticket, about the possibility to connect your account directly
    to our banks with your own merchant agreement. This depends on
    your location and type of business.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately this is
    beyond our control.

Regards,

Customer Support Team

Originally posted by Pilgrim
    Try this email I received from a company that is ofcourse NOT a third party processor:
    Mastercard don't support Taxis either. Or maybe they do this month.

I'd be very surprised if there came an end to third party processors. They've been going strong for many years.

Gary

As long as there are the large amounts of revenue involved, 3rd party processors will find ways around new Credit Card regulations. It's ridiculous to think that companies like PayPal would not be able to legally maneuver around new verbiage in CC processing agreements.

As for the obvious, 2Checkout is for all intents and purposes a 3rd party processor even if they have to say otherwise to maintain their CC processor standing. The thread starter is not being reasonable in withholding the information 2Checkout is requiring to validate the account changes.

Well that last sentence "The thread starter is not being reasonable in withholding the information 2Checkout is requiring to validate the account changes" was directed at the thread starter in the other 2CheckOut thread not at jezzomaster. My apologies to jezzomaster for that...