reliable webhosts

I've been trying to identify the best/most reliable hosts on the web but have been coming up with nothing really helpful.
    Is there some sort of independent rating system/organisation for webhosts? I've seen a number of sites claiming to be #1 and a number of so called rating sites which contradict each other and at time appear to have some ultirior motive for creating such a ranking.

try whreviews dot com

Hi blughville,
    This subject has been discussed several times here in the forums.
    The absolute best suggestion I could make is to thoroughly research your potential host as much as possible.
    Email them with pre sales questions. Check out their own user reviews onsite and follow up with them.
    Do a search on google.com and see what results you get.
    Do you have family members that use a paid host? If so contact them and see who they use and get their opinions.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

whois.sc/hostedwebsitesdomain.com

see how long they have been around to get a feel for how long they intend to be, my general rule of thumb is as far as back they have been around they should be around twice that
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

hmm, there are plenty of ranking systems out there for hosting providers. however I believe you will only get a good indication through your own investigation, like searching this forum and checking there whois information.

I'd have to echo what the others say. At this point, many of those 'independent' host reviewers (not all of course) require a nice sum of money for a host to be a part of them. Quite often with the rest, the systems are open to dishonest reports as well - something we've seen with a few of the infamous names around here at WHT.

I'd would stronly advise doing your own research to find the more reliable hosts out there. There is no such thing as the 'best' or 'most reliable' but there are plenty of good and reliable hosts around the net, you just have to find them. The WHT search feature and even Google is a good place to start. Look around, do searches for 'best host', 'good host', etc and work from there.

I think that I will go with Micfo.com. The storage is good, the price is below $10 per month and it supports more than one domain with sufficient monthly bandwidth.

Is there anything negative or otherwise about this host that I should know before actually making the final purchase?

I tend to go with people that I have seen post here at WHT a lot. I have bee naround here for almost a year so i'm not saying just go for people with 100's of posts. If i see a host here posting a lot and actually posting usefful things, I tend to see their company as pretty good. Feedback fro them here usually reflects that. Currently I have an account through Tronictech, David from TronicTech is on these forums with the username thedavid and i had seen him post a lot, so that is the main reason i went with them.

Micfo is good. Try to avoid host that charge very little for there services. One thing to look for is 24/7 toll free tech support. If your running a business online downtime can really effect your profit potential. I currently host with micfo and so far so good there support is always available 24 hours a day.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I would also look for some sort of "Verify our uptime" or monitoring service such as SiteUptime or Alertra. This can tell you how much you can count on a host for reliable service.

Originally posted by gilbert
    whois.sc/hostedwebsitesdomain.com

see how long they have been around to get a feel for how long they intend to be, my general rule of thumb is as far as back they have been around they should be around twice that
    agree, always check around see whats up.

cheers