In the technology area there are many different ways you can do something. For example, writing a program to do a specific task or designing a network. Everyone seems to have their own idea of how something should be done.

It always irks me when someone says, "There's more than one way to skin a cat!" This excuse often comes from people who don't know what they are doing and have fumbled their way through something by the seat of their pants.

Let's get something straight. There may be more than one way to "skin a cat" but there is only one way that is the most efficient. When choosing the most efficient way one needs to consider a number of things including situation, circumstances and application. If you put some thought into it you will find the most efficient way to do something 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time is when you need to put on your creative hat and come up with some 'out of the box' thinking. Now unless you enjoy being inefficient then feel free to skin your cat anyway you want.

It's not that I don't appreciate creative people. In fact, creative thinking is how efficiencies are discovered and built on AT TIMES, not always. Efficiencies are usually discovered and built on by careful analysis, research and experience. Since most everything we do has already been thought of over and over by millions of people, our cool "new" idea might not be so new or cool. So instead of wasting time thinking about some way to do something, try spending a little time on analysis and research. Then bounce it off someone who has some experience to back them up.