Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Fully Managed Servers?

hey,

i know there's thread after thread asking for which server is the best for someone's specific needs, but we're now in need of a fully managed servers.

I've done research about the companies, and have already filled out a host quote as well, i just wanted to go direct to the source for more information.

So far, i only know of one good provider/reseller

AngelNetworkz

Does anybody know any more?

Thanks

I don't think AngelNetworkz offers 'fully' managed servers. Have you looked at RackSpace.com?

you can also get a regular server and get it managed by outside companies....
    quite a few members on these forums offer services like that

I would second the RackSpace reccomendation. They are great and proactive in everything. They do offer FULLY managed with no hidden things. It's all 100% managed with an awesome support team.

http://theplanet.com & http://servermatrix.com are also very good. For servermatrix just pay a bit more for their management plans.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by Hoobastank68
    http://theplanet.com & http://servermatrix.com are also very good. For servermatrix just pay a bit more for their management plans.
    Agreed that The Planet is quite good. However they are not proactive with their management. RackSpace will make sure to fix the server whether you're around or not to ensure maximum uptime and performance. Not to mention the quality of their network and the fact that it is literally NEVER down.

Most "managed" servers are actually semi-managed, that is, the only thing they're going to do for you is patch you for security holes, monitor the box etc.

True management goes much further than that. As such, you can expect to pay a minimum of several hundred dollars for it at most places, in addition to the cost of your server.

I definitely agree. The term "managed" is thrown around by a number of companies. While no one can support every specific application (especially home grown ones), some companies go beyond dedicated.

IMHO, the easiest way to define the difference is to ask what applications the company supports. Also, ask what happens when a problem does occur. Is the only recourse to reload the OS?

Cheers,
    matthew

ServInt servers offers proactive managed servers. You won't ever even need to use SSH with their level of support. They have a great network and email response times are measured in minutes not hours. If you don't like email support you can always call their 800 number and get a live body right in the NOC 24/7.

If you are looking for Linux, I *highly* recommend that you pick a provider that uses "enterprise" class Linux distribution, such as RH Enterprise Linux or SuSE Standard/Enterprise Server. They offer a higher level of package compatibilty and management, in addition to a 5-year end of life. I have yet to have a problem with RHEL's packages, which is surprising consider RH9.

Right now, it is important to realize RedHat 9.0 and older versions will not have any additional patches, including security patches. A few months back, one of the core Linux kernel developers stated that Redfora was not for production. Anyone know if this is still the situation?

Cheers,
    matthew

I have tried both ServInt and Angelnetworkz.

ServInt gave me a more secure feel. But Angelnetworkz's support staff responses were more friendly and informative.

rackspace. Angelnetworkz are great and do manage but not "fully"

even i myself need a fully managed dedicated server.The offers quoted by angelnetworkz are great but to what extent they offer managing services.i know not fully managed but still some services may be.

Make a research: some companies alongside with unmanaged servers could offer you fully managed dedicated server

any dedicated P-IV server 2.8 GHz with 1GB RAM uptill $110 can i get such deal
    i also need cPanel and Fantastico pre - installed too.Angelnetworkz offers it but i send them an order and they didnt replied yet it has been almost 8 hours or so.

Originally posted by meporter
    If you are looking for Linux, I *highly* recommend that you pick a provider that uses "enterprise" class Linux distribution, such as RH Enterprise Linux or SuSE Standard/Enterprise Server. They offer a higher level of package compatibilty and management, in addition to a 5-year end of life. I have yet to have a problem with RHEL's packages, which is surprising consider RH9.

Right now, it is important to realize RedHat 9.0 and older versions will not have any additional patches, including security patches. A few months back, one of the core Linux kernel developers stated that Redfora was not for production. Anyone know if this is still the situation?
    Hi Matthew,

The official Redhat line still stands: Fedora for home/development use, RHEL for busines. No surprise they want to push their non-free product.

I have to respectfully disagree with the core developer. I have a bunch of Fedora servers in production and they work just fine. Some examples: a backup server that backs up 300-400GB/night, a DNS server that handles 1000-2000queries/hour. Not massive but they work and work well. There are some caveats though. The upgrade schedule is a little aggressive. The FC roadmap calls for core upgrades twice a year (last time i checked). Patches for the previous FC version run out 2-3 months after the next version is released.

Oh, and FC2 has issues with i20 (Adaptec RAID).

Fedora requires a little more attention from the sysadmin but is very much usable.

Regards,

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    ServInt servers offers proactive managed servers. You won't ever even need to use SSH with their level of support. They have a great network and email response times are measured in minutes not hours. If you don't like email support you can always call their 800 number and get a live body right in the NOC 24/7.

false information again!!
    Servint is NOT proactive at all. If you see how long my kernel has not been updated, you will change you mind. Servint do not even patch security holes if I do not ask.

One exception just could not represent for a company service level.

If you do believe what you say is all applicable to all customers, may I quote your statments to servint then?

Servint, I want PROACTIVE managed server.

Actually, http://www.fedoralegacy.org is providing errata support for Red Hat 7.3, 8, and 9 past EOL. They also said the they will support these Red Hat releases until there is no demand for them.

The reason you may not of heard from them is probably because Red Hat doesn't want you to know as conflicts with what marketing says. What you are going to be more surprised to find out is that half of RHEL 3's packages were built on RH9. If they're going to keep RH9 boxes lingering around in Raleigh somewhere, I'd bet my dog there going to keep them up2date somehow.

Originally posted by meporter

Cheers,
    matthew
    ::. www.diginode.net : Dedicated Servers : Virtual Machine Servers .::
    ::. Industry-Leading Remote Server Management .::
    ::. Automatic OS Re-image : Instant Server Reboot : Remote Serial Console .::
    ::. Over 20 OSes to choose from : Install a new OS every day .::

I third (or fourth) www.rackspace.com
    --

They're even proactive on sales now
    --

Jori,
    You just asked the CEO of ServInt about this issue last month in this thread and he answered you. If you don't tell them what you want, they cannot read your mind.

About 3-4 weeks ago I got an email from ServInt's NOC asking me if I had just signed up a popular site or offered a new download. The answer to both questions was no, so I asked why they wanted to know. The Tech told me that he say a fluctuation in the traffic on our Bravo server. The fluctuation was only a 25 gig difference from the normal. Turned out there was an issue with a site which was promptly resolved.

Now how did they know there was a fluctuation form normal traffic patterns if they aren't constantly monitoring? It wasn't even a big fluctuation!

I am by no means a big ticket client of ServInt, we don't have racks of servers and we are not a low maintenance account either. In every instance we have never been disappointed with their proactive approach. Their network and techs are all top notch. ServInt is an incredible value for the prices they charge and I wouldn't think of placing our clients anywhere else...

Watcher_TVI, is ServInt pro-active for you when it comes to kernel upgrades, security patches, and so forth?

I reccomend ServInt or rackspace.
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Originally posted by diginode
    Actually, http://www.fedoralegacy.org is providing errata support for Red Hat 7.3, 8, and 9 past EOL. They also said the they will support these Red Hat releases until there is no demand for them.

The reason you may not of heard from them is probably because Red Hat doesn't want you to know as conflicts with what marketing says. What you are going to be more surprised to find out is that half of RHEL 3's packages were built on RH9. If they're going to keep RH9 boxes lingering around in Raleigh somewhere, I'd bet my dog there going to keep them up2date somehow.
    Hm, interesting proposition. What kind of dog is it?

Fully Managed Server is when I don't have to manage the server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast