Angry ThePlanet, please be helpful!

My server is getting DOSed very frequently since last month now.

We've told ThePlanet that what can we do about it, and they just simply nullrouted the server IP and didn't even try to help us out at all.

How do you handle DOS attack? Sit around and wait for a few days, and pray for the DOS attack to stop?

It amazed me, because it seems that no one is able to come up something that defeats DOS attack.

Rackspace use something that can battle against DDOS. They use it here at webhostingtalk.com.

This is what they use I believe... http://www.riverhead.com/index2.html
    -- Matthew

its a matter of bandwidth saturation as to why there has been no compelte way to combat ddos
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I believe the first thing is to determine why and who is DoSing your machine. Usually it takes some kind of 'magnet' to attract such things from happening and I do know that there are random DoS but they are not so common. Sometimes, if you offend someone, they may take revenge. Such as if you are running a game server and you get people who are unhappy because they lose and may seek revenge. Or people you host who feels that they are taken advantaged off or being wronged and thus seeks revenge. Once you know why and who then it would be easier to determine how to block it.

Nullifying the IP would place an immediate stoppage.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Hmm strange. When i had a freakn big burst of 85mbit they contacted me immidiatly and solved the problem.

Originally posted by Stormhosts
    Rackspace use something that can battle against DDOS. They use it here at webhostingtalk.com.

This is what they use I believe... http://www.riverhead.com/index2.html
    I might be speaking too soon, but I seriously doubt that they're using a Riverhead. If they were, they would not have DDoS problems like they do (from what people tell me.)

There are many ways to combat DDoS, its just that the better ones are quite expensive (the Riverhead, for example, retails at $40,000, and that does not include the bandwidth to do with it )

he was saying rackspace.net use one, and i wouldnt put it past them, they really do do top end hosting

theplanet wont use one, no
    laslo.ca
    Quality Canadian Web Hosting

theplanet does have 'floodgaurd' although im not sure how effective it is.

Oh, i'm sorry -- I bet Rackspace does have one. Guess I wasn't paying much attention

I know for a fact that Datapipe has one, but expect to spend $400/megabit if you want filtering from it.

Originally posted by webephex
    theplanet does have 'floodgaurd' although im not sure how effective it is.
    "Floodguard" is not a DDoS appliance, its simply a firewall which supposedly rate limits TCP SYN and such. It's moderately effective against low level DDoS, merely as an instrument for keeping the server itself from having to process the connections.

Didn't know much about Floodguard, thanks for the info DeathNova. I thought it was a bit more effective than described, but for the pricing, it makes sense.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH