Thread: Getting Noticed

Question Getting Noticed

I have seen some very interesting ideas and comments in the forum as well as some lame threads (cant have good without bad).

One thing that seems to be missing is information on effective advertising and marketing campaigns. I know that this seems to be the biggest black hole for my comany as we enter into the sea of web hosting companies. What is the most effective way to reach your potential customers?

Maybe this crosses the line a bit for us (commpetitors) to discuss?

I know my first year budget is fairly small conisdering the prices for some tools and advertising plans.

I think SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is probably one of the biggest market places out in this digital land, and we as web host have to become somewhat experts at that to progress.

Anyone have any success stories on spending little for big gains??

Im working off a near zero advertising budget. I am finding most of my business is from happy customer referrals. I also target a low income audience (this has come to hurt me recently). All in all I would say the best and cheapest solution is interacting at community hubs that your key audience frequents and establish yourself as a knowlegdable and trustworthy company.

Aside from that, I would have to say its kinda tuff the ROI on most advertising campaigns in most forms of media is <1%. Targetting is key, but advertising says less then being around.

However, I guess take mine with a grain of salt, cause Im not exactly rolling in the $ here.

Re: Getting Noticed

Originally posted by MrFatCat

As cliched as it sounds and is "you have to spend money to make money".

If you want customers you are going to have to reach out to your market.

Search engines are a good start but if your going for a broad market then it's unlikely you are going to be able to reach many customers this way.

It's been said a million times, fork our for ads in local media (preferably net related), advertise online, etc..etc..

If your unwilling to invest some $$ then chances are you are going to remain in obscurity.

MrfatCat(love that name), the simple reasoning behind the lack of good information on advertising methods in this forum is the fact those that have a good method don't promote it publically.

What you will on this forum is a lot of people mentioning general advertising mediums with an intention to help, but they don't go into the specifics. Think of google adwords. Most people recommend adwords as a great starting point, but I can guarantee they won't give you their "seller" keywords.

Basically, everyone else here are hosts.
    Now, its okay to give some advice to a competitor but you dont want that competitor to take over your business which I think you will find it rare anyone will tell you their "secrets".

I think marketing is something you need to really learn on your own, because most people wont tell you how its done. =)

You will have to continously use the Trial & Error method of finding out which type of advertising works best for you. there is no best advertising but there is one that suits your business, targets you market. After spending 100's of dollars or even 1000's you will finally come to know which type of medium gave you the best ROI for your buck.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Local advertising with (as an example) business card size ads can be very affordable and effective. Don't fill an ad with too much information. Just point out what your business is all about and try to catch the attention of readers.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

Originally posted by Professor
    Most people recommend adwords as a great starting point, but I can guarantee they won't give you their "seller" keywords.
    Thats a very clear message that can be applied throughout! I think maybe the question should be presented in a different way to help us all.

I might propose a new topic -- What is a total waste of time or highly ineffective in the way of marketing and selling over the internet. What do ya think Professor? Do you think we would get some interesting threads flying around?

I dont mind making a mistake or two, but I dearly hate wasting resources such as money

I have seen some good points just the same. I like the community here.

Re: Getting Noticed

Originally posted by MrFatCat

Dapto this Thursday - Race 5 number 3.

Good luck

You must invest money to gain customers. Word of mouth does not work if you don't have any customers to spread the work. If you have like 5000 customers word of mouth it might help a bit. If you don't invest you'll get like one customer a month...and that way you can't do business.

The old adage of having to spend money to make money doesn't have to hold true for web hosts just starting out. Your most accessible market is your local market and it takes very little money (if any) to reach out to them. Here are just a few suggestions.

Print up some flyers for your hosting business and then;

1) Post them at the Bulletin boards at your local supermarket, Post Office, etc.
    2) Public laundromats are a great place to find a lot of people with nothing to do but read the two page flyer on how to create and build your very own web site. Make sure that you have placed stacks of them around the place with your local phone number prominently displayed on the front page. (people seem to like that).
    3) Visit the Pastor of your Church and offer to host them for a credit line in the Church Bulletin. If your church doesn't have a web site you need to make one for them..

You will be amazed at how many people in your own neighborhood would love to have their own web sites but have absolutely no idea on how to get started. For practically no investment you can build up quite a good solid group of clients this way. Also keep in mind that by targeting your local market you will find that the bulk of your support requests will come in during hours that are more reasonable to you.

Best of luck!