Question Two domains, Two machines, One Public IP. How to route? Is it Possible?

My subject pretty much sums it up.

I live with a roommate. He has one computer and a domain. I have one computer and a different domain. We have one IP which our access point router assigns IPs. Both of our web servers want to be online. How do we route incoming traffic from MY domain to MY computer, and route incoming traffic from HIS domain to HIS computer?

Is this possible?

Probably not the best way... but just run HTTPD on port 81 on the second computer, instead of port 80 (default). Then you can use port forwarding in your router to point the two ports to their respective computers.
    Michael @ Qualserv Networks - quality hosting since 1998!

Bringing Web Hosting to a Personal Level

Better, but similar way: Get an account at someplace like and set it up with your domain. Then have it forward your domain to your ip with port 81, and your friends domain to your ip at port 80. Or the other way around. I don't know if zoneedit actually allows using different ports but I assume they would. If not there are a lot of different dns providers around.

Hello Ryan98034,

You would definitely have to work off of two different ports. There is no other way around. Like this:

Port 80 forwards to your friend's machine and port 81 to yours. You will need to connect both your machines with a NAT enabled router which will in turn connect with your cable/dsl router.

A good NAT enabled router to start with could be:

Hope this helps.

Mediopia Technologies, Inc - Call Toll Free (24 x 7): 1-877-807-HOST
    Windows and Linux Reseller and Shared Web Hosting Plans
    SiteStudio, ASP,, PHP, CGI, Coldfusion MX 6.1, Frontpage, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL ...

Thank you for that suggestion. I think I will try that. I have network solutions and they allow me to type in my IP address. I appreciate your guys time. Thank you.