How much bandwidth is enough?

How much bandwidth is enough?

I'm looking for a dedicated hosting server with a fast and RELIABLE network. I have a few choices narrowed down. (Not the topic of this post.)

basic specs are: dual 2.8ghz, 1-2GB memory, 2x73GB scsi drives
    Offering a few hosting plans from 200mb to 1500mb w/ php,mysql, etc....

Exactly how much bandwidth is enough? I have come across providers offering a wide range of monthly bandwidth plans. These vary from 150GB up to 2000GB per month.

My very uninformed guess is that most end users running personal sites are not going to push multiple GB of bandwidth each month. Some might, but in general not all. Right?

Thanks in advance.
    Jon

i would suggest atleast 1000GB bandwdith per month, this way you have enough to work with and wont be buying a server for every 20 or so customers. i'de highly advice against overselling, and advice you to get more bandwdith now so that its better for you in the long run...

I think you'll find that Bandwidth isn't really an issue these days, unless you are just planning to be a file server. Most servers are limited by their system resources and not the bandwidth.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

I have found that if you take the total size of you web site and multiply that by 30 should give you a basic idea. This doesnt include if it is a membership base. or a mailing server..

We have about 500 accounts on each of our servers.

So far, both combinded, it doesnt even total out to 600GB.

schmeg is right when he said that system limitations come before bandwidth limitations.

Got it. Go with more than 150GB per month, but will likely never get to 2000GB per month on a single server.

Thanks
    Jon

Yes.

Currently we are sharing a 10Mbps with 4 servers.

Not even 80% in using all that bandwidth.

Originally posted by vizhost.com
    We have about 500 accounts on each of our servers.

So far, both combinded, it doesnt even total out to 600GB.

schmeg is right when he said that system limitations come before bandwidth limitations.
    I hope those are beefy servers and accounts that don't use much

Anyways back to the topic, it really depends on if were you are buying from just counts outgoing bandwidth or incomming bandwidth also in the total monthly count. If it is just outgoing bandwidth counted I would definatly go for 200gb to 500gb a month. you will find that is more then you need.

With our fullest server which is a 2.4 p4 w/1.5 gb ram, only using 100-150GB per month of bandwidth.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

250 gigs per server
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003