Dvds, explorer crashes

Two completely unrelated subjects - one post.

I just ran out of DVD-Rs, and have been looking for some good, cheap 25 packs of them, and I think I found some ( http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allmed...etail-312&.htm ), but the site that has them, has a "compatibility chart", and my dvd-burner isn't listed (OptoRite DD0201).

So I'm wondering: Does it really matter what burner I have? I know it doesn't with CD-Rs, but I'm not sure about DVD-Rs, since I just now ran out of discs. I don't want to dish out any amount of money if they don't work, since its a pretty big waste of plastic/cash.

Other question:
    A few weeks ago I had a problem with videos crashing BSplayer, Winamp, windows media player, etc. (But not divx player for some weird reason), that I fixed by uninstalling ALL of my codecs - the only problem is, whenever I go into a folder with a video, explorer crashes and windows is laggy until I restart.

Any ideas? My friend told me to uninstall WMP but I can't seem to find any uninstall in the Add/Remove Programs list.
    I know its because windows is trying to create thumbnails of them (Or previews), and it doesn't do it just by viewing the folder in Windows Explorer, but it DOES if I try to view the properties of the video or delete it.

Thanks for any and all help

Someone? Anyone? Please

reinstall windows - that'll fix it.

it looks like WMP has become damaged or corrupted, but as it's built in to the OS, you can't easily manually fix or remove it.
    Gone.

Is there any other option? I can't format, and I'd rather not risk reinstalling windows (Last few times it hasn't worked out well at all)

Anyone know the answer to my DVD-R question?

Anyone? Please?

Reinstalling Windows looks like the only way to me.