Thread: mysql or files

Lightbulb mysql or files

Im going to be making forums in the future and I was wondering what would be the best place to store the design templates for the forums? in a mysql database or in files?
    -Tyler

http://www.beauxbatonsonline.com
    [email protected]

Files. Unless you use the manipulation capabilities of a database (sorting, indexing, joining), files will be faster and, in the case of HTML/XML work, easier to maintain.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

mySQL is just a database program using its own way to store data in a flat file, like MS Excel, the core of every database is flat files

if your familiar with disk seek and indexing, you will be able to make a flat file database whcih outperforms mySQL

I would recommend in files because loading all code from a mysql database will dramatically increase your CPU/memory load

Originally posted by lwknet
    mySQL is just a database program using its own way to store data in a flat file, like MS Excel, the core of every database is flat files

if your familiar with disk seek and indexing, you will be able to make a flat file database whcih outperforms mySQL
    Great advice: "Roll your own database".

But you forgot to advise the OP to roll his own operating system first

Originally posted by lwknet

I assume you are talking about file seek. That and file locking are only part of the problem. Mysql also does very good job of caching queries and results, which greatly speeds up perfomance.

To the original poster, If you are having fun with what you are doing, do both. Set the template class to retrieve template from database or from flat file, based on some config setting. That is only way to find out which is better for you and it should not be too hard to implement. Some considerations that come to my mind are related to editing and managing those files. Database stored templates need to be edited through online editor, while file templates can be editied any way you like, With file templates you can have issues with premission (ie, have them chmoded to 666 which is not preety) and with database you can avoid that problem. Choices, choices.