View Poll Results: Where does your web site come from?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Designed it myself/ourselves

48 69.57%
  • Paid someone to do it

12 17.39%
  • Bought a template

9 13.04%

POLL: Did you design your site or use a template?

I see a lot of web hosting templates for sale out there. Was curious as to how many people actually bother designing their own web site as opposed to using a template.

We had someone do us up a custom one, probably the reason mozilla doesn't like it. But at least we aren't considered a cookie cutter hosting company.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Good for you. Hopefully what I'm about to say doesn't shy away anyone from taking this poll but everytime I see one of these template based web hosting sites it just doesn't seem right. They are saying..

a. Host your web site with our knowledgable tech support team who can't even design a web site

b. Trust your web site to our company! We take your business very seriously. Just look at how seriously we take ours! We invested a whole $40 in a quality template monster template.

OK I best get running before the army of template driven penny hosts launches an assault on me

hostmaniac, i think that is a great thing to say. quite derogatory but true. lol.

Designed in house. We never use templates for any of our clients

Justin

Designed it myself actually, professional as we are.

Also design sites for our clients as well.

We contracted our design out, ended up being a bad deal where we were promised a unique design and the person just modified a template, which we later found out about. However the current design was modified to be different than the other templates out there.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Originally posted by vigor
    We contracted our design out, ended up being a bad deal where we were promised a unique design and the person just modified a template, which we later found out about. However the current design was modified to be different than the other templates out there.
    It looks really good.

Designed in-house.

I definitely get a kick out of the sites that advertise how they can make you a great website -- and at the bottom it says "Designed by <some other design company>".

For hosts, I don't think it's a problem at all if they have their site designed for them. I'd rather a webhost be great technically than artistically.

And there are so many webhosts, you really need to grab attention first thing when you get a visitor. If you can't do that yourself, pay someone reputable.

Thanks!
    Jeff Standen, Chief of R&D, WebGroup Media LLC. - LinkedIn
    Cerb is a fast and flexible web-based platform for business collaboration and automation. http://www.cerbweb.com/

It would be best to design in-house or pay someone to do. Atleast you wont be worried that someone else will have the same template as you. Even if you bought a previously used template you can get it modified at www.templatetuning.com

Simplicity is beauty, so your website should be simple and to the point, conveying your message to your customers and attractive enough to leave a lasting impression
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Its quite funny to see the amount of companies nowadays that offer web design services and yet purchase their own designs from others
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

Originally posted by PhilG
    Its quite funny to see the amount of companies nowadays that offer web design services and yet purchase their own designs from others
    Most of those types have partnered with a design company, so in most cases, that is alright.

Of course designed myself. Currently it is 4th or 5th version (i think 5th, but not sure)
    Originally posted by PhilG
    Those are just junk resellers. Never deal with designer who didn't design his own site.

Our web site has been designed by a professional web developer. We do not like templates because they are often sold to more than one customer. This will result in a web site that looks identical to the web site of another company.

designed by ourselves. since we are a group of website designers/developers, we tend to keep everything in house.

at least it saves costs and gives us the freedom of our style.

designed with my own blood, sweat and (many) tears

-Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

I normally produce my own websites.

Designed by our Head Designer
    NameHero.com - We Fly Above The Competition™
    The Industry Leader In Cloud Web Hosting

Hosting and Design are different areas.

Greetings All,

Once again, I find myself wondering, umm, what does HOSTING have to do with DESIGNING? They are two seperate genres. And I think it's hypocrytical, when, in fact, most people who HOST don't have a datacenter, but rent space, what THAT says is, hey, let us host you, we are hosted by someone else. Sales, are sales, are sales. How many stores do you go in, where they don't make the product, just sell someone elses? It's the same thing. I don't see how web design affects web hosting. You may have GREAT tech skills, but aren't a graphics designer. You may know *nix front and back, but don't know jack about Photoshop/Gimp/[insert prg here].

Sorry, just my common sense outlook once again.

Before you flame, wonder if you're the same.

CyberSpy
    President
    SpyTech Industries

I don't think the original poster's point is to whether you designed it yourself vs. paying someone to do it. I think the issue is whether you bought a $15 template and are running your business off of that vs. making your own or contracting out someone to make your own. I think the idea is that going the template route shows a lack of financial committment or possibly "shortcutting."

At least that's my take.

Regards.
    Jason
    HOSTING your livelihood

I offer two design packages - one inexpensive that uses a template for clients that don't have the money to spend and another package that is custom designed using my graphic designer.

Templates make it fast and easy to throw up a site, but some clients want full control over the design and thats were the graphic designer comes in...

In case anyone looks - Veign was designed by me (Software Developer). Thats why I hooked up with a graphic designer..

I concur

Greetings All,
    I concur with with Charlotte, and that's the point I was tryng to get across, but, as usual, the main posters question got misconstrued. I code my own pages, and either do the graphics myself, or have others on my staff help me. But somehow the conversation was led astray, it doesn't matter if a HOST did their own website, they are a HOST, not a design firm, as, most design firms don't have cages, and host sites.

Although recently, it's been more feasible for me to outsource the coding that goes into the chips that runs some of my devices. But that is a topic for another time and different area. But I mention it, only because outsourcing isn't always bad, in some instances it brings down costs, and the benefits are felt both by the business and the consumer.

CyberSpy
    President
    SpyTech Industries

Of course it matters. Poorly executed design directly reflects upon the capabilities of the
    host. If you can’t adequately capitalize a unique design, you won’t be in business for long. To go further: Templated, reseller companies are not real hosts. They are dilatants with insufficient capital to create a real company. Unfortunately, the competitive dynamic and greed associated with dedicated providers only exacerbates this issue.
    It will come back to haunt them… Face it, unless you have your own data center, customer service, disaster recovery and continuity, physical plant, noc, tier 1 merchant account and processing, and a unique website design, you're just not a real company. Period. Arguments to the contrary are really just attempts at rationalizing the inability to create a viable business plan a seek venture funding.

lol, there's one opinion.

-Jason
    HOSTING your livelihood

In house. Actually took a stab at a template but it was more trouble than it was worth as we had to clean up some really messy HTML code.

Sometimes it's actually quicker to make something from scratch.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

I like to do my own too. "KISS" and "Content is King" IMHO.