time to start worring for your self

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...ua_congressorg

anyone know if this is reliable? if so you may want to watch out for it. I reember when that was signed with John Manley so I know that exists. it was in the papers here.
    Brian Larter

It might be as reliable as http://whitehouse.com/

AdWatcher.NET - Ad Monitoring & Tracking (90-day Money Back Guarantee)

David Ogilvy said, 'I know half of my advertising works. I just don't know which half'. Would you like to know if YOUR prospects are reacting to your ads? Find out now!

true, lets hope its a farse
    Brian Larter

::: Donning His Flame Retardant Jock-Strap :::

I feel ALL Americans should serve a minimum of two years Civil Service. Patriotism in our youth is suffering terribly! Too much Gimme, gimme, gimme... And rarely any giving back. No appreciation for what they have, where they live, and what this country offers them.

Our youth, quite often, are directionless when they complete High School. Some enter the Blue Collar Work Force. Others go on to College, but without much of a clue as to what they want "when they grow up."

Two years in the service of our country will serve many useful purposes. Not the least of which will be:
    * Get 'em out from under mommy's apron, and grow up!
    * Have an oppotunities to get into a career field, and obtain training in such
    * Obtain Gvt. benefits to continue their education upon completion of their service

And for the record, I have two children (both males) who fall into the age range covered by the Selective Service...
    Last edited by rrdega; 05-22-2004 at 09:32 AM.
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

I'm moving to Canada.

Originally posted by hycloud
    I'm moving to Canada.
    That won't help. If you are selected and you are living in Canada, Canada will kick you out and bring you back into the U.S.

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country.

If this country was being invaded, then I would fight for it. But why do you think these bills are being proposed now? The "War on Terror". If these bills were passed then we would probably be sent off to some mideast country that Bush plans on invading next. I do agree that the war on Afghanistan was necessary, as they had contained Al Qadi camps. But Bush lied about "weapons of mass destruction", Iraq was no threat to us. I don't want mine or all of my peers' lives to be lost for some campaign across the middle east when efforts could be better concetrated right here in the US.

Yes, I would defend my country. However, I'm not going to fight wars that I don't believe in.

Originally posted by Rob83
    That won't help. If you are selected and you are living in Canada, Canada will kick you out and bring you back into the U.S.
    Damn... um.... I'm going move to .... Switzerland. Yeah, that's it.

Yup. I do agree. I'd fight in a war that I felt was needed, but not this war. Furthermore, drafting I think is the wrong attitude, it'll just get you a lot of unhappy soliders who won't do crap!

But seriously, my father served in the U.S. Army, I believe I'm exempt from it.

If you think 9-11 was bad, you haven't seen what bad is. We have opened a new can of terrorism in the U.S. Fasten your seatbelt, the next 10 years is gonnna be hell.

Bush and his world power schemes... The draft won't help.. Thats basically ordering people to go fight and kill. This president and his whole cabinet makes me sick.
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

Originally posted by rrdega

I feel ALL Americans should serve a minimum of two years Civil Service. Patriotism in our youth is suffering terribly! Too much Gimme, gimme, gimme... And rarely any giving back. No appreciation for what they have, where they live, and what this country offers them.

Our youth, quite often, are directionless when they complete High School. Some enter the Blue Collar Work Force. Others go on to College, but without much of a clue as to what they want "when they grow up."

Two years in the service of our country will serve many useful purposes. Not the least of which will be:
    * Obtain Gvt. benefits to continue their education upon completion of their service

And for the record, I have two children (both males) who fall into the age range covered by the Selective Service...
    So I'm assuming that you've served in the military? If not, I'd sign up if I were you, other wise you have no room to talk.

I feel that, if this happened, we would become more of a dictatorship instead of a democracy. Our freedom is sleeping away piece by piece. Because of the government, and its officials getting more greedy with power.

If you don't want to serve the army, then you shouldn't have to.. Simple as that.
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

There should have been a provision for compulsory military service, so that the draft would not be such a shock now.

That's how other countries maintain a sizeable force: by making military service obligatory, from a few months to up to 3 years (Israel). I served for 18 months in Greece and it was a great experience, it definitely added to my character.

The tough times come when wars break out and then you have to fight for your country and your own life.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    So I'm assuming that you've served in the military? If not, I'd sign up if I were you, other wise you have no room to talk.
    Yes, as a matter of fact I did. I did my four years, and told 'em what they could do with it... But it was the best move I made in my early life, without doubt.

I was post-HS, wandering around the eastern US as one of the aimless kids selling books and magazines door-to-door. I made a drop at the Post Office one day, and saw a recruiter sign, and thought, "What the heck!" I went in, talked to the guy there, and was off in Great Lakes, MI a week later. Shipped out to the Fleet (Navy) a few short months later. Wound up my four years as part of the flotilla sitting off the Gulf of Oman during the Iranian Hostage Situation in '79 & '80.

As a recap for those young'ns who may not recall, the Iranian Hostage Situation was when Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, who had ruled Iran for 37 years, was forced to flee the country in a takeover by followers of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, a Muslim clergyman. In November 1979, militant Iranian students stormed the U. S. embassy in Tehran, the capital of Iran. They took 66 Americans hostage. More than a year of negotiations with the militants did not secure their release, nor did a U.S. commando raid the following April. But I digress...

In any case, yes I did serve my country, gained valuable Life Experiences, and GI Benefits which paid my way through college to lead to my career in IT. One heck of a hard turn from selling books and magazines, eh?

While I am on a Soap Box here... Perhaps a little more History Lesson is in order here... (I still have my Flame Retardant Jock-Strap handy)

Let's talk briefly about the Crusades... Reference: The Real History of the Crusades - By Thomas F. Madden

So what is the truth about the Crusades? Scholars are still working some of that out. But much can already be said with certainty. For starters, the Crusades to the East were in every way defensive wars. They were a direct response to Muslim aggression—an attempt to turn back or defend against Muslim conquests of Christian lands.

Christians in the eleventh century were not paranoid fanatics. Muslims really were gunning for them. While Muslims can be peaceful, Islam was born in war and grew the same way. From the time of Mohammed, the means of Muslim expansion was always the sword. Muslim thought divides the world into two spheres, the Abode of Islam and the Abode of War. Christianity—and for that matter any other non-Muslim religion—has no abode. Christians and Jews can be tolerated within a Muslim state under Muslim rule. But, in traditional Islam, Christian and Jewish states must be destroyed and their lands conquered. When Mohammed was waging war against Mecca in the seventh century, Christianity was the dominant religion of power and wealth. As the faith of the Roman Empire, it spanned the entire Mediterranean, including the Middle East, where it was born. The Christian world, therefore, was a prime target for the earliest caliphs, and it would remain so for Muslim leaders for the next thousand years.

With enormous energy, the warriors of Islam struck out against the Christians shortly after Mohammed’s death. They were extremely successful. Palestine, Syria, and Egypt—once the most heavily Christian areas in the world—quickly succumbed. By the eighth century, Muslim armies had conquered all of Christian North Africa and Spain. In the eleventh century, the Seljuk Turks conquered Asia Minor (modern Turkey), which had been Christian since the time of St. Paul. The old Roman Empire, known to modern historians as the Byzantine Empire, was reduced to little more than Greece. In desperation, the emperor in Constantinople sent word to the Christians of western Europe asking them to aid their brothers and sisters in the East.

That is what gave birth to the Crusades. They were not the brainchild of an ambitious pope or rapacious knights but a response to more than four centuries of conquests in which Muslims had already captured two-thirds of the old Christian world. At some point, Christianity as a faith and a culture had to defend itself or be subsumed by Islam. The Crusades were that defense.

With that background, what do you prefer? To sit back as a pacifist and wait for the inevitable war (keep in mind the Muslim mindset that in traditional Islam, Christian and Jewish states must be destroyed and their lands conquered) to hit our shores (as it did on September 11th, 2001), when tens of thousands will die? Or should we take a more aggressive, and defensive posture, learning from history's lessons? It is going to happen! If you think it is not, you are being terribly naive...

-Bob

UM AAAAAAAAAAA GUYS?

Where MISSING TWO FAMOUS WORDS HERE:

COAST GUARD

or at least thats my missing poll option!
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I see your point, Gilbert... And yes! I am not advocating mandatory Military Service in the traditional sense. I do not think anyone is! I am saying Civil Service. Service on behalf of your country. It could be many things!!! And I am sure, if they enact this, there will be many more options created...

Draft? I have already counciled my younger son (who is 18) that he'd better not wait to get drafted, as those poor schmoes will surely be the first to be toting guns overseas...

-Bob

I am getting spammed by John Kerry in Orkut for his campaign against Bush

Thats something for you Americans to worry about because I am Indian and an American Presidential candidate is spamming me violating the Indian Informaton Technology act.

What do you think will happen to the anti spamming laws if John Kerry becomes President ?

Which one would you prefer. Spam or War?

Spam = John Kerry ...... War = George Bush

Originally posted by JWise

Can I choose Clinton ?

Clinton is the best

I prefer Reagan I like his hairstyle

Originally posted by JWise

War against spam.

just so people know this was posted before. I still think the same as before. They shouldn't force people to be in the USM. Though I agree alot of younger people do say gimmie gimmie..
    I am back....

What would happen if a sizeable group rejected the draft? Throw a few thousand teens in jail?

<snip>

With that background, what do you prefer? To sit back as a pacifist and wait for the inevitable war (keep in mind the Muslim mindset that in traditional Islam, Christian and Jewish states must be destroyed and their lands conquered) to hit our shores (as it did on September 11th, 2001), when tens of thousands will die? Or should we take a more aggressive, and defensive posture, learning from history's lessons? It is going to happen! If you think it is not, you are being terribly naive...
    This summed up your entire post with TOTAL ********!!!!
    Funny how so many people believe everything they read with no valid facts....
    Last edited by s.h.a.zz.y; 05-23-2004 at 08:58 PM.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

I think you are forgetting that people devote atleast 1/4 of their lives EACH YEAR to the government through taxes. Gimme, gimme gimme? I don't think most people ask much from the government. We shouldn't count on the miltary, and war, to mature out kids. People should be allowed to raise there children as they want, not according to your, nor anyone elses standards. If they want to baby there kids, let them.

I think a lot of people would sign up for the draft of what they felt was a legitimate war. I, for one, have no interested in fighting a b.s. war.