* Flash Website or Standard HTML, What do you recommend?

Hi Everyone

This is my first post on this forum and I must say I found this forum very helpful so far 

Anyways, I am looking to setup a new business online specializing in selling Computer Systems. I asked around to see how much it would cost for someone to design a website for me and they gave me a price of £3000. I figured that since I have some HTML Skill already I may set this up myself. I am looking to purchase a FULL Site business Template to start off with; however here is where I need some of your very much appreciated advice:

Should I go for standard HTML or FLASH Website? Of course Flash is more attractive but the main concern is, could it be that if I design the site with FLASH, it could actually loose me customers, i.e. some web surfers may not have Flash installed on their Website and as a result are unable to view the page, Of course this can be downloaded free by everyone but it could just put off my customer by not bothering to downloading it?

Do you think this is possible? What do you guys recommend out there?

Any help given would be great.

most surfers have flash installed. so it shouldn't be a problem. the main concern is, would it be easy for you to change your layout/content when needed?

i would recommend surfing at competitive sites. i have yet to come across sites that uses mainly flash for a website that sells computer systems.

i think a good website can do without flash. flashy presentations might draw customers, but its the content that makes repeat-visitors

hope this helps.

Thanks KT, I like to see a bit of animation in a website, but yet ofcourse the contents is very important.

None Flash is by far easier to amend but yet I want to know what people out there use, EBUYER is a major trader on Line and they do not use FLASH

ah...sorry, kinda jumped the gun on this.

i can't advise anymore, as most of my websites are non-flash. the only thing that i used as flash is for the splash page.

maybe a good flash logo and menu would do well enough

this is all i can say. sorry if it doesn't help much. hehe.

No, it is very much appericiated, after all every little helps.

Depends on what you want the flash to be used for. You can make it more attractive by adding a quick-loading flash banner but it isn't really neccesarry.

If you want a good professional template try
    www.templatemonster.com. You can usually choose a flash or non-flash version of a template.

Are you selling computers online or it's only a site where you advertise your company and people come to the store?

If you're selling online, I'd say go with HTML. Because a full flash site with a shopping cart backend may cost a lot to do. It can be made, that's sure, but it may cost a lot and it may be slow on most computers, and since you're selling computers, people who wants to buy computers probably don't have a very good one while they're visiting the site.

If it's only to advertise, well you can go for a full flash website, that is if you don't need to update the site every day or two days.

If you really want flash, you can also do an hybrid site, an HTML site with some flash elements in it, use the best sides of both, it can produce something very good, as much as a flash site, but it is also easy to update.

if you're selling online i'd say html/php with little flash touchs, programming in flash would cost a fortune compared to php
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

My main concern is, which one would increase sales? and Yes, I would be selling On-Line.

Many Thanks

i'd say php/html since its faster to load than flash anyway
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

In the future I would think that creating a site like that in flash would be more common, but right now there is no need to jump right to it. HTML/php will serve you just right. Not necisarrily faster to load(lower file size), but it would be cheeper to build and uphold.

both

There are many sites out there that offer both.

on the index page just give an option for the html site or the flah site.
    If you choose a template from templatemonster most of their templates are bundled with both flash and nonflash templates.

You might want to opt for an Hyrbid site. Having motion graphics in certain areas within your website could bring a different meaning and overall bring about its professionalism(if only done right). But the flash elements shouldn't hog a lot of bandwidth. MOreover, if you're worried about having flash which could divert your customers - I'd say, you don't have to worry about that since there's a JSscript which checks for the flash plugin and plays the flash animation only if installed else would display a static image in its place. The bottom line is, you would gain sales depending on how professional your site is.
    SLEEK BANNERSVBULLETIN SKINZ
    Strives to create Innovative Solutions to Visual Communication needs!

P3RPL3XITY.COM [ A new dimension for a new web experience - " It's a new frontier for web related activities " ]

After 6 years of making online purchases myself, I would recommend that you don't use flash. If you have already decided to use flash then make sure the option is there to jump around the flash and get straight into your store or catalog without any waiting. The most serious buyers will already have knowledge of what they want to buy and have the cash to spend, you don't want to give them any reason to hit the back button and shop elsewhere. Flash modules are most useful in teaching and entertaining situations, not for bringing in customers. Your investment capital would be far more effectively spent on online advertising and purchases of hits to your site.

I would advise to go with HTML. As it has been said, it is easier to build and update.

If you want to add Flash, you might want to consider adding Flash header. Take a look at what templatemonster has to offer.

good luck!

AdWatcher.NET - Ad Monitoring & Tracking (90-day Money Back Guarantee)

David Ogilvy said, 'I know half of my advertising works. I just don't know which half'. Would you like to know if YOUR prospects are reacting to your ads? Find out now!

Yep, use PHP...
    I don't know who is your target market, but keep in mind that lots of linux users do not have flash, and if you use flash, you should not use the latest version, lots of persons don't have it.

Ludo
    P.S.: Here is an interesting study about Flash
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou
    Founder of the MythTV Community Website :: MythTVtalk.com :: Latest MythTV News

Wow.. Many Thanks every one for all the advice. I have decided to go for a template that only has a Falsh BANNER on the top, this way it looks professional but yet has plenty of HTML Coded so that it would be a speedy website.

I don't like flash, often sites with flash don't work properly, so I would recommend to not use it.
    Will you eat your pets? Discuss it on my vegan forum

if youre going to use flash...USE it, dont just do something you could have done in html AND block out people without the plugin