Hybrid View

How long do you consider too long to wait? (Tech)

I'm not going to mention any names at all right now.
    I'm just interested how long everyone feels is "too long" to wait with regards waiting for low/medium priority tech problems to be solved?
    I'm not talking about "My site is down!" or "No connection to my SQL database" kind of issues.

Things like:

1. Under my reseller account it says I have more space than I actually should have but less bandwidth

2. One of my own domains under my reseller account is using approx. 40MB of space, another 30MB.
    Yet in the control panel for each domain it reports used space as 0.01MB

3. Fantastico vanished from the control panel on all of my domains - to me this is quite important as I rely on that for Forum & Blog installations (as do two other people who host their sites under my account)

Problems reported in a timely maner. Problem 3 is the biggest one for me and it's been over 48hrs now...

I'm just gauging how long people would be prepared to wait for similar problems to be resolved.
    I moved to a new host with a month of my old hosting left - I feel that if my biggest problem hasn't been resolved after 60-72hrs I'll just move all of my sites back to my old hosts and cancel the new one.
    Do you think I'm being fair? Maybe other people could tell me if the problems listed above are actually tricky ones to resolve?

48 hours is way too long, I tell our customers to open another ticket if we don't respond within 2 hours (occasionally tickets get lost) but from a customer's point of view, within the hour, 2 hours max.

I agree, if nothing happens in 48hours, you might want to put on a little heat (in a polite manner of course) but heat nonetheless.

Cheers
    Jeff
    www.idologic.com
    www.demologic.com
    A company committed to people serious about their websites - If you don't DO LOGIC - what do you do?Check Us Out

In my opinion, companies who spend all their money on support to make it possible for responses in under an hour are foolish.

Yeah - it is nice to get a fast response, but are those problems really that urgent? I think anything under 6 hour response(for non major problems) is fine.
    48 hours may be pushing it however.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Well that was it really.
    If my site was down I'd expect an answer rather quickly.
    I find 2-4hrs as acceptable for those "urgent" issues.

The three I've listed are low priority, I can understand that.
    Although it is all relative - I like to use Fantastico for Blog installations.
    Nearly every page on one of my sites has "Blog" in the menu and at the moment it hits an empty page.
    Two friends of mine transferred over at the same time (I host them for a nominal yearly fee) and they have been unable to install forums and/or Blogs because Fantastico has vanished from their control panels.
    I choose a host who specifically could offer Fantastico for this reason.

The host I'm having these slight issues with have a helpdesk system.
    I'll update the ticket again after 60hrs and if there is still no sign of a resolve I'll cut my relatively small losses (domain downtime and lack of faith from friends mainly) and move along I think.

I wouldn't wait until 60 hours. As a customer that is way too long. As a host, I would apreciate a friendly "What is the status" email on another ticket. Tickets have been known to get lost or accidently closed. I would much rather a customer ask me instead of getting upset and having concerns or bad feelings about my company. It is much better to have an extra ticket than it is to have an unhappy customer.

Maybe they wanted to have a 4 day weekend or something.

If an issue isn't urgent then I don't see anything wrong with a 48 hour wait... BUT you should still get some form of a reply immediately so that the client knows the host is going to resolve the problem! It's not only turnaround time for resolving an issue that is important... but staying in touch with your clients and keeping them up-to-date.

Getting no response after 48 hours makes it look like the host is out to lunch or something... for a very long time!
    Michael @ Qualserv Networks
    www.qualserv.net - quality hosting since 1998!

Bringing Web Hosting to a Personal Level

For a non-urgent issue I, in my opinion, think that ~24 hours is acceptable. Urgent issues should be answered within ~1 hour (attempting ~20 mins).

For a minor issue, anything under 24 hours is good enough. But if I have something marked urgent and it is truly urgent, I do hope to see it resolved within no more than 6 hours.

For your case, I would say that it shouldn't take more than 12 hours to get a reply on what is wrong. After that, it would depend on the severity of the problem to determine how long to wait for it to be fixed.
    New site: www.talkutas.com

It depends on the company. If the company is a bit cheaper, then 12 hours is a good time. If you're paying a bit more then the company should be spending a bit more on support to give about 3 hour...

Re: How long do you consider too long to wait? (Tech)

>low/medium priority tech problems

medium - 2 working days
    low - 5 working days

>1. Under my reseller account it says I have more space than I actually should have but less bandwidth

non-critical billing/plan issue - 2 wkg day

>2. the control panel for each domain it reports used space as 0.01MB

quota problem - could take a few days as it'n not necessarily real-time upadting the info- def fixed 3-4 days though

>3. Fantastico vanished from the control panel on all of

*important*
    either - uploaded wrong skins
    did a bad cpanel update
    stopped paying for the licence
    fvcked something up
    etc

i would expect this to be fixed *immediately* it was reported, or explained as an ongoing issue if not fixed.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

>2. the control panel for each domain it reports used space as 0.01MB

quota problem - could take a few days as it'n not necessarily real-time upadting the info- def fixed 3-4 days though

neg, if you have cpanel takes less then 15 minutes, and about the same for other panels.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

At MOST, 24 hrs !

Regards,
    Shawn
    ________
    ProSiteDev.com
    Professional Site Development / Budget Hosting
    Customer Satisfaction is our MAIN focus !!