One and one grrr!

Hello there!

Does anyone know where I may find some kind of dedicated server, preferably with something like plesk on it, for around the 50 - 60 mark? I currently have one with oneandone and I'm just about ready to get up and walk off!

I've been trying to point an external domain to it for the last month...have I been able to do it? NO! Are their technical support helping me in anyway? NO! Anyone else had problems like this?

Are they offering the server as managed or semi-managed?

they're not offering it as managed. But they've set it up in some really weird way and I really can't work it out. It's something to do with DNS and blah. The DNS settings appear to work, but in reality they don't. I'm so very confused with it all and just want out mainly

You can get servers with similar control panels at lots of U.S. Providers for $99-$150 which is pretty close to your price range once you convert. It amazes me that One and One would loose a client over a DNS issue that should be able to be sorted out in 5 minutes(Especially if they are farmiliar with their server configurations.)

Sticking to established U.S. providers is a good idea in my opinion. Firstly, you're supporting our economy . Second, the fact that they're willing to spend money to take out a 15-page ad in Network Magazine is pretty scary. Seems to me that they need to hire some auditors to take a look at how the marketing department is spending their cash

You are going to struggle to find something non USA based for that sort of money.

If you want something UK based in that sort of price range check out 49pence.com - start @ 60p.m for 40GB - better deal than one and one IMO. Then add a licence on top - I think they only do debian so rules out plesk but it not the only control panel. There are others (UK2, dedipower, memset, poundhost) I can email you a small investigation I did when looking for a new service (its a bit scrappy but might help) but the usual disclaimer applies - its not all about price - bet you would have happily paid an extra 30 to have had your simple domain issue solved by a nice friendly, qualified, UK based support bod on the end of a nice fast, ticketed email support system. Hmmm?

DeathNova - 1&1? its great business model, go for massive growth, buy up the whole market and as long as you do the numbers who cares if you are profitable. I mean its worked for Worldcom, Enron, Boo . . . . .erm, ooops!

Wow, thank you for your help. That would be really great to read the investigation you did on other hosting companies.

I was considering Dedipower as they seem quite well established, plus they're over here which is a bonus...not having to phone overseas and everything.

Thank you again!

If your in the UK like myself you are best buying from the us as the exchange rate is better and for 50 - 60 / $87 - $104.40 you can get a better spec machine.

Yep the only thing that stopped me buying from one of the better USA based suppliers was our requirement for search engine optimisation on some of the domains we host. But even in the states I would prefer to pay a little bit more for a better service. I still might buy a server in the states for high bandwidth stuff that does not require SEO.

It would appear that I am unable to email from this forum for whatever reason. Would you be able to put your excel file on the web somewhere and post or email the address? That would be fantastic if possible!

Many thanks once again!

Go with Nocster or better yet an authoirsed reseller as you wil get everythign even cheaper but still get support from Burstnet

Stuart
    | BlueWave Communications Ltd - The Island's Communications Provider
    | URL: http://www.bwc.im/ AS: 201898
    | Jersey | Guernsey | Isle of Man

http://www.angelnetworkz.net They seem good going to buy a server with them now

Originally posted by jsweet
    ...I can email you a small investigation I did when looking for a new service...
    No offence, but isn't your "investigation" just an old copy of http://www.findyourhost.co.uk/dedicated.php ?