Thread: kernel upgrade

kernel upgrade

i'm trying to do a kernel upgrade and it failed the system didnt boot

what files can i check to find any error messages from the unsuccessful boot with the new kernel? i cant seem to find any that give any info as to what went wrong

Assuming a RedHat based system, look in

/var/boot.log

This will show you what happened, if your kernel didn't start, then you'll have to rely on the DC's tech's putting a console on your box and copying the error messages for you.

After making a few silly mistakes (working too late into the night !), you really wish you had a box with a KVM over IP solution :-)

ya thats what I figured, but theirs nothin good in the boot.log file so I'm assuming its worse of an error than i though

gonna recompile the kernel and try again

Make sure you have included the drivers for the correct file system otherwise the kernel can't access the disks :-)

There's a good HowTo for 2.4.26 with grsecurity on WHT if you do a search.

Originally posted by monaghan
    Assuming a RedHat based system, look in

/var/boot.log

This will show you what happened, if your kernel didn't start, then you'll have to rely on the DC's tech's putting a console on your box and copying the error messages for you.

After making a few silly mistakes (working too late into the night !), you really wish you had a box with a KVM over IP solution :-)
    Nope... it should be /var/log/boot.log
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

Make sure you have included the drivers for the correct file system otherwise the kernel can't access the disks :-)

There's a good HowTo for 2.4.26 with grsecurity on WHT if you do a search.
    yep thats what's open right in front of me

I didn't do anything with the modules (this is my first kernel compile) so I'm going back through making sure I do it right this time

If it's your first compile, you might want to do it on a test rig first !

However, that doesn't mean the live box will go OK, the test rig here compiled & booted 1st time, it took 3 goes to get the live box running :-(

However once the kernel booted, I was able to view the boot.log to identify the fact that I'd spent so long checking the output of the kernel & modules builds, I'd actually forgotten to install the new modules before rebooting - proof that the sysadmin can be as dumb (if not dumber) than the users.

Have fun, I've been compiling kernels since the early days of Sun systems and I still get things wrong !

i just dont get it the WHM manual says do this

cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config

that gives me
    cp: cannot stat `/boot/config-2.4.24': No such file or directory

there is no config-2.4.24 file for my kernel boot kernel is this a major issue? make oldconfig still runs

You can't do that. Show us the outputs:
    Code:
    uname -r
    ls /boot
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

Code:
    root@zeus [/lib/modules/2.4.26-grsec]# uname -r
    Code:
    root@zeus [/lib/modules/2.4.26-grsec]# ls /boot
    ./                      initrd-2.4.26-grsec.img  System.map-2.4.20-8
    ../                     kernel.h                 System.map-2.4.24
    boot.0300               lost+found/              System.map-2.4.26-grsec
    boot.b                  map                      vmlinux-2.4.20-30.9
    chain.b                 message                  vmlinux-2.4.20-31.9
    config-2.4.20-30.9      message.ja               vmlinux-2.4.20-8
    config-2.4.20-31.9      module-info@             vmlinuz@
    config-2.4.20-8         module-info-2.4.20-30.9  vmlinuz-2.4.20-30.9
    config-2.4.26-grsec     module-info-2.4.20-31.9  vmlinuz-2.4.20-31.9
    grub/                   module-info-2.4.20-8     vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
    initrd-2.4.20-30.9.img  os2_d.b                  vmlinuz-2.4.23
    initrd-2.4.20-31.9.img  quota.user*              vmlinuz-2.4.24
    initrd-2.4.20-8.img     System.map@              vmlinuz-2.4.26-grsec
    initrd-2.4.23.img       System.map-2.4.20-30.9
    initrd-2.4.24.img       System.map-2.4.20-31.9

Copy /boot/config-2.4.20-31.9 to /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.26/ instead.
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.26
    make clean && make mrproper
    rm -f /boot/*2.4.26-grsec*
    rm -rf /lib/modules/2.4.26-grsec
    cp /boot/config-2.4.20-31.9 .config
    Then continue with your make oldconfig then make menuconfig so on... ...
    Giam Teck Choon

that seems strange to me every other kernel had a config but the one i boot with....

i'll give that a shot thanks so much!

Then you got to ask who install 2.4.24 kernel for you
    Giam Teck Choon

make oldconfig definately ran differently that time...

nohup make bzImage & running well without errors...

now make modules is actually taking longer than 3 seconds too

Of course it will take longer than that... far longer than that even you have a high end server
    The thing is if you see any errors and you ignore and continue... you are really on your own since you ignore it
    Giam Teck Choon

lol... errors ya i got a few

Code:
    root@zeus [/usr/local/src/linux-2.4.26]# cat modules.err
    gamma_dma.c:608:18: warning: #warning list_entry() is needed here
    radeon_mem.c:135: warning: `print_heap' defined but not used
    md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 13 computed checksums did NOT match
    st5481_usb.c: In function `usb_next_ctrl_msg':
    st5481_usb.c:51: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c: In function `usb_ctrl_msg':
    st5481_usb.c:67: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c: In function `usb_ctrl_complete':
    st5481_usb.c:134: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c: In function `usb_int_complete':
    st5481_usb.c:188: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c: In function `st5481_setup_usb':
    st5481_usb.c:244: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c:253: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c:263: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c: In function `st5481_start':
    st5481_usb.c:360: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c: In function `usb_in_complete':
    st5481_usb.c:474: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c:504: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c:510: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c:512: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c:514: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c:522: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c: In function `st5481_start_rcv':
    st5481_usb.c:609: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_usb.c:612: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_d.c: In function `usb_d_out':
    st5481_d.c:362: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_d.c: In function `usb_d_out_complete':
    st5481_d.c:386: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_d.c: In function `dout_start_xmit':
    st5481_d.c:419: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_d.c:453: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_d.c: In function `st5481_d_l2l1':
    st5481_d.c:602: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_b.c: In function `usb_b_out':
    st5481_b.c:122: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_b.c: In function `usb_b_out_complete':
    st5481_b.c:176: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    st5481_b.c: In function `st5481_b_l2l1':
    st5481_b.c:367: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is deprecated
    they dont seem like major issues, just depreciated functions... how normal/abnormal is that? I of course may have missed something

haha... enjoy hunting or asking your best friend... you know who to ask huh don't you
    I am not going to tell you which is which as you screw up a few times will actually help you to remember MORE and LONGER... this is how I learn from the hard way
    Giam Teck Choon

Screwing up a kernel compile is not the hard way of learning, formatting the wrong disk is much more fun, not done that for about 10 years, but it makes you learn :-)

Screwing up a kernel compile is not the hard way of learning, formatting the wrong disk is much more fun, not done that for about 10 years, but it makes you learn :-)
    LOL
    Should I call this blur
    Giam Teck Choon