form variable names which are arrays and javascript question

I have a few text fields that that are named as arrays, ie.

<input type=text name="Cost[1]">
    <input type=text name="Cost[2]">
    <input type=text name="Cost[3]">
    <input type=text name="Cost[4]">

I am trying to access those form names using javascript, but it's not working.

Anyone have a clue how to access a form variable name that has a bracket in the name? And before anyone asks, the reason I put my names into an array is for processing by a backend php script.

My ultimate goal is for the javascript to output the total of the four form fields in another form field. I have the code to total but it only works with variables named like this Cost_1, Cost_2, etc etc.

Thanks for any help in advance!

There are a few workarounds.

One would be to also generate a hidden form element for each field, but with a name that JS can work with.

Another would be to use variable variables with PHP with say name="Cost1"

I think that a possible hack would be to use id="Cost1" along with name="Cost[1]", then use JS's getElementById and normal PHP.
    Not sure if this is a good idea, actually, so I would advise against it.
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";
    int main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}

I thought about that, but that won't work becuase the form I'm actually dealing with has about 100 cost fields and adding a hidden field for each field would be a nightmare.

I solved my own problem, here is what I did for anyone else that run's in to this problem.

var txtString = document.form.whatever["Cost[Ticket1][0]"].value;

and to convert to a float, just use parseFloat ie