Question recommendations for phpbb hosting for large forum

we're looking for hosting recommendations for a relatively large phpbb forum. our mysql database is about 300MB and we generally run around 30-40GB per month, but sometimes more. i need a company that we can grown with. realistically, this forum will double in the next year. i would prefer a windows-based host with rock solid mysql servers, but will consider unix/linux.

Managing your own reseller account might be the right idea because of the excessive MySQL queries.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

get a VPS it would let you grow up more and have more than enough transfer

anyone have experience with powweb and large mysql databases?

A VPS or dedicated server is probably a better route for you to go. Most quality shared hosting that allows the bandwidth you are looking for is frequently going to cost you close to as much as a dedicated server and give you far less room to grow while staying in the same price range.
    http://www.bash-shell.net - webhosting geared towards personal websites and small businesses.
    http://domains.bash-shell.net

any VPS company recommendations?

A dedicated server would be your best choice, a forum using 40 GB traffic uses way to many resources for a shared account

dinix.com seems to have at least a fan on these boards (LaurenStephens).

servint.com also offers VPS but i don't really remember what I read about them. Their name just stuck into my memory. A search on each compny name should reveal some customer opinions. Good luck!

vpscolo i've read many good reviews of them here at WHT.. i think servint is very expensive and they make a -high- extra monthly charge for Cpanel but they also have good reviews as far as i remember

dinix.com just shot down the VPS concept. they feel it would still run slow. =( i keep hearing dedicated being thrown at me, but i'm not sure if i can spring that amount of $ on it.

Then try getting some revenue... Selling advertising and/or placing Google Adsense ads on your pages and/or accpeting donations from your users might provide that additional monthly revenue depending on your type of audience.

I reckon Dinix should have the necessary experience with forums and their recommendation is not to be taken lightly. VPS would've been a temporay solution anyway, as you estimate that traffic will double within a year.

Good luck!

Just get a large shared account. Dedicated and vps mean you need to manage the server. Getting a vps is great if you want full control over the server, its not great if what you really want is just a large shared account. You'll be better off going with linux since mysql works better on it imo and overall its easier to find a unix host.