server stops responding for few minutes

Hi, I have a dedicated apache server with postgres database. most other pags are php based. whats happening is that the server stops responding every now and then for few minutes and then comes back on by itself. does anyone have any idea abt this problem.?

Which server and kernel?
    Is it a xeon?

the server is celeron 1.6 with 512 memory
    kernel is 2.4.20-20.9.2

installation configuration is:
    BIND 9.2.1
    Apache 1.3.27
    Miva Empresa 3.93
    MySQL ver 3.23.51-2
    ModSSL 2.8.11
    IP Tables ver 1.2.6a
    Microcode Update Utility 1.05
    Port Sentry
    ModPHP ver 4.2.3
    IMAP 2001a-1.72.2
    ModGZip ver 1.3.19.1a-4x
    ModPerl ver 1.26-4
    OpenSSH 3.4pl
    OpenSSL 0.9.6e-1
    Quota Support
    PHP 4.2.3
    PostgresSQL 7.2.2
    ProFTPD 1.2.4
    QPopper 4.0.4-3
    XNTP3 5.93
    Update POP 2.01
    Pico, gunzip utilities, tcsh
    Top (Proccess Watcher), Traceroute
    FTP Server with Virtual FTP support
    Perl 5.6.1-26.72.3, Procmail, PHP-Ready

Stop responding? What exactly you mean? Does it go to an state of being very busy (Utilizing processor and/or memory to the fullest) for a while?

If that is a case? Monitoring process and memory for a while using top will help to know any process taking the full processor/memory for a while.

Use sar command to find hour-wise utilisation of CPU and dig into what services are running at the time of high CPU utilisation.

Regards,

-Devil

well when the server gets offline for a few minutes, it looses all the connections, and for few minutes i cannot go in to putty. but even before that the load count is low (b/w 0.0 to 0.07)

and it also keeps a big count of buffer meory, although free memory goes to abt 15mb

Hi,

Iam sure some process is taking up memory and processer for a while.

Find out which is it and see whether it releases it fine. If it happens in predefined time pattern then check cron jobs. Monitor it for a while using top command it will really help you to know where the problem originates.

Do you run tomcat, oracle/any database in your server? It happens the same way if applications using these run in your server.

Regards,

-Devil.

i run postgres database, and most of the site is database driven. I dont think high utilization is the case as the server never has high number of users. i use the top command and cpu is mostly 98% idle. can it be the case that because of no access, the server goes on to the sleep mode for a while....just a vague idea....

Hi,

What OS you run? Does it run apmd (advanced power management)?

Try stopping that service if in case the server really goes to sleep mode.

Regards,

-Devil

its linux / apache...

m not sure abt apmd, how can i find out

From the provided kernel version, my guess is you are using Red Hat Linux?
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

yes its redhat linux..... DI Linux 9.0 (Kernel 2.4.20)

could be a bad nic causing problems.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Hi,

Login as root and try "/etc/rc.d/init.d/apmd stop" in command prompt... Check if everything goes fine after this service is stoped.

Regards,

-Devil

also have this problem...

I've run into this problem as well. In my case, it was mysql and apache killing us. But, as you are running postgre (which I don't know squat about), you should check to see if any of your db's configuration files allow you to change resource utilization limits (like the my.cnf for mysql).

By reading the forums here, I also found that there is an iowait issue on RH Enterprise linux. As I am new to these forums, I can't post a URL, so I'll give a summary. The iowait issue might be resolved by trying these:

echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/inactive_clean_percent
    echo 2 10 20 > /proc/sys/vm/pagecache

give it about an hour to kick in should help loads. If it does add them to /etc/rc.local

Also, check your cronjobs and see if any match up with the times you notice the problem.

One other things, I've seen many discussions about setting apache to run with KeepAlive off. You can try turning it off in your httpd.conf file.

Hope that helps some.
    Tommy Elliott
    Hello & Co! - It all starts with Hello !
    HelloandCo.com | HelloHost.com | HelloHost.co.uk | HelloDomains.net | HelloServers.com | Hello-Designs.com | HelloDev.net | HelloNetworks.net | eHello.net | HostingNames.net | 1-888-88-HELLO

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    could be a bad nic causing problems.
    I agree with him. A bad NIC may cause problems. I also met this issue before, and it's because of the network. Lakhanin, ask your provider for checking your NIC and network as well.

I have seen a similar issue before, when the processor fan stopped working....I think it will a nice idea to get a hardware check up...

well the network card is replaced, they saw the bios functionality to check if there is any suspend mode , but were not able to find anything, they will check the firewall tonight and see if there is some problem over there.....