View Poll Results: Do you use your local Google?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use my local.

18 56.25%
  • No, I just use the .com even though I'm not from the U.S.

14 43.75%

Your local Google or not?

Further to a thread I was reading earlier I wonder how many of you actually use your local Google or do you just use Google.com?

This relates to where servers are and whether certain results show up or not in regional google searches.

I use Opera which has google.com built in so even though I'm from the UK I only use google.com I wonder if it's the same for other people!

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

I recall from research i did for an essay last year those users that search via google.co.uk..... a third used the UK results only so i guess its worth using especially if targetting the UK.

I think it was netcraft or similar i got those stats from.

Funny how you associate .com with the us. I cannot read my local one, so I resort to the .com.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Yep whether it's strictly true or not I do associate .com with America - can't help it!

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

I submitted our site to local a little over 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago I got an automated response stating it will take another few weeks for them to process the listing.

It's still not there.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

Yes they have local Google for us in UK! Dont believe me?

check it out

www.google.co.uk
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Originally posted by kohashi
    Funny how you associate .com with the us. I cannot read my local one, so I resort to the .com.
    The majority of original .com sites are US-based because .com .net and .org were the original TLD used by DARPA when the internet was started.

For some strange reason I associate .us with the US

Well, I guess I can't really vote as I'm from the US, so obviously I use my local google Revenge for excluding me, I swear, revenge!

BTW, yes, the majority of .com sites are American, however there are plenty of .com sites that aren't. .com is sort of a standard now, so even people outside the US may want one. Honestly I've generally found .net, .org, and .co.uk to be the prettiest () TLDs. Of course I registered .com, .net, and .org of my domain, no .co.uk as I'm from the US

www.google.us forwards to www.google.com, while www.google.co.uk is it's own site....apparently google associates .com with the US too.

In Singapore, we only have access to localized google. google.com always redirect to google.com.sg

Originally posted by hyperspin
    In Singapore, we only have access to localized google. google.com always redirect to google.com.sg
    Try http://www.google.com/ncr

As for me, it depends on what I'm after. I mainly use the Google toolbar though these days (which has an option "Search Australia" if I'm after something locally).

-Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Do you know what ncr means?

Funny thing is after trying this URL, google.coms no longer redirect to google.com.sg ...

Google sets a cookie for your browser. As we use a proxy based in the netherlands for our office traffic we keep getting google.nl which isn't overally helpful but you can rest it to english google with no problem

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I've alreadys read that in those lists of all the TLDs and who should use them that

.com = Commercial USA Site
    .net = USA Network Site
    .org = USA Nonprofit Organization
    then you get all .co.uk and stuff

Originally posted by hyperspin
    Do you know what ncr means?
    National Cash Register?

Seriously, I don't know.. others might :-)

Funny thing is after trying this URL, google.coms no longer redirect to google.com.sg ...
    You should have a link saying "Go to Google Singapore" - try that. After clicking my equivalent, I usually start getting Google Australia again.

-Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Its called GeoTargetting

Plenty for country specific Google : ads, froogle, news, groups, search,.............

I use the google toolbar in IE mostly, but if I am using another browser, I type in .com and it redirects to http://www.google.com.au/

Has anyone tried GooGel.Com ?

Originally posted by RajanUrs
    Has anyone tried GooGel.Com ?

OMG I just looked it up.......its the world's biggest rip off. Its identical to Google.com

The problem is that no one really follows what everything should be. Even if my site is just a personal site, having anything other than .com often confuses people. I made the mistake of buying a .net domain before most people even knew what the term domain meant, so every time I told someone my website address they would just give me a And if you're a company having .com, .net, and .org can be very important as it's not uncommon for someone to snatch up the other ones. I'm still really irked that .name is the best thing they could come up with for a personal domain. They need a three letter one that doesn't look out of place instead