* Is anyone here an AOL Employee?

Hey I am wondering if anyone here works for AOL, or did at one time? As possibly an insider, Host, or anything else? Just wondering. Please respond here.
      0 Not allowed!

Anyone that's an active employee or volunteer, or recently let go (one year after leave NDA) would not be able to respond to this thread.

I, however, can say yes, I used to be a volunteer for AOYell.

Started off as a Rnger (AOL Online Tech Support team/host), moved into COST OPs (Trained Guides and Rngers, and eventually others), impressed a few folks and brought on board for Digital Cities where I was an ERT (Emergency Response Team) Host (Called into extremely volatile situations, where the chat room host couldn't handle an out of control room) as well as Digital Cities SIMs Team Leader (responsible for drafting up all SIMulated chat room trainings, documentation, running SIMs chats). Also hosted weekly chats in Digital Cities Seattle Chat Rooms.

All that in a span of a year and a half.

Would I do it again? Probably not. Did I enjoy myself? Absolutely! Met some of the best damn people there, including my fiancee.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TRN Douglas
    Anyone that's an active employee or volunteer, or recently let go (one year after leave NDA) would not be able to respond to this thread.
    Why is that? Is it like the CIA? You can't let anyone you know or talk about your work?
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters
      0 Not allowed!

Hey Douglas.. that's cool.. I think I would like to talk to you if you would like to talk to me.. do you have aim? Wanna pm me with your sn or vice versa?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Trifolic
    Why is that? Is it like the CIA? You can't let anyone you know or talk about your work?
    It's mandatory for all AOL employees and volunteers to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement, due to the access and authority that you have, especially when you're in a position of power.

Being that I had the authority to send in abuse reports and to silence people's chatting abilities, and get people's accounts terminated, I couldn't divulge who I took action and what I took action on.

It's just like the mod team here, when you report a thread, the mods don't tell you what they did, only that they acted on it. If you were the one being reported, you wouldn't want to have the whole world know why you were reported, right?

The NDA that AOL staffers/volunteers had to sign was an extra layer of protection for AOL. I know that it's mandatory for inhouse AOL staff, I don't know if it's still mandatory for AOL volunteers.

For the record, I have been out of the AOL program for almost two and a half years, so I am well outside of my NDA period.

Originally posted by clear ghost
    Hey Douglas.. that's cool.. I think I would like to talk to you if you would like to talk to me.. do you have aim? Wanna pm me with your sn or vice versa?
    Not too much to discuss about it. Most of what you'd probably want to know is out on the internet. ::chuckles::

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)
      0 Not allowed!

Well I didn't mean it that way, not "details" about the job, your post just made it sound like you couldn't tell people that you work at AOL, or what your job is, how you like it etc.. that kinda stuff.. I know that details are usually always protected by a NDA
      0 Not allowed!

Trifolic, actually, you can't tell people that you work for AOL or volunteer for them. If you volunteered, and you said that, you'd lose your account, because you would present a potential security risk. It's even more so strict for paid AOL staff, because once someone knows that your account has special access, they'll do whatever they could to gain access to your account, including brute force it.

0 Not allowed!

Trifolic, actually, you can't tell people that you work for AOL or volunteer for them. If hatyou volunteered, and you said t, you'd lose your account, because you would present a potential security risk. It's even more so strict for paid AOL staff, because once someone knows that your account has special access, they'll do whatever they could to gain access to your account, including brute force it.
    I guess I don't know how AOL operates, but it seems a bit weird, that you can't tell people you work for AOL

We must be looking at things from a different point of view.. If someone is a Janitor, or secretary or manager of some department in AOL's buildings or if they manage servers or answer phones.. Those people cannot say they work for AOL? How would anyone even know their username to know that it had special access?
      0 Not allowed!

He's talking about internals.. well basically if you had an internal account you wouldn't be able to do anything with it unless you are on whoaps or at the AOL Campus, but if you were (like pepsi did not too long ago by infecting ints with using infected cable computers and sending a virus renamed as a .scr for a screen saver).. well that was when CRIS existed (pretty sure it's done) so he was able to pull account info, reset notes, add notes, etc etc. That is probably why he can't disclose info.. you can also suspend/unsuspend as well.

Werd.
      0 Not allowed!

What do you want to do? kill him for crappy support and slow connection? lol
      0 Not allowed!

I remember about a year and a half ago an AOL ex-employee posted some items regarding the internal workings of that service to my mboard. One of my moderators moved it to the "thrown" topic and love the person out.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm also on a NDA with AOL. I can't say what I did for AOL or how long I did it. But I can try my best to answer basic question you may have.
      0 Not allowed!

Hey Kim, do you still have that thread archived or anything?
      0 Not allowed!

First rule of an NDA:
    --- Don't talk about the NDA...

NDA's are serious stuff.... Signed a few and never liked the feeling about them but, just followed them to the letter. Just apart of doing business.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat
      0 Not allowed!

What do you mean you 'signed a few'?
      0 Not allowed!

NDA - Non-Disclosure Agreements.

In what I do, I deal w/ a great deal of vendors and work with their beta software to ensure compatibilty and proper integration after the upgrade to the new version. I also test alphas and betas of software not avaiilable to the public so I have to sign a NDA with each individual vendor (not all the times, just sometimes) when I get the new software.

So... I've signed a few...
    I wear a gray hat
      0 Not allowed!

Have they been for AOL, or just a business you work for?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by clear ghost
    Have they been for AOL, or just a business you work for?
    Just curious? Why are you so curious?
    I wear a gray hat
      0 Not allowed!

Because I need to ask a question concerning an aim account of mine that only internals/ aim admins would be able to help out with
      0 Not allowed!

Well.... You already have found out in this thread that it is illegal for them to do so, your probably not going to get any information out of them what-so-ever.

You also should understand that AOL is quite a large company and even if they did work for them and/or have signed an NDA they probably wouldn't even technically be capable of helping you..

Your best bet is just to ask the question (not divulging any of your personal information, just ask it in a general sense) and if their able to answer it they probably will. If you don't get a reply, there's your answer.
    I wear a gray hat
      0 Not allowed!

And not IM bomb someone out of the blue. There was a reason why I didn't answer your PM, and a reason why I haven't answered your IMs...

I don't have time to deal with something that I have no control over/access to, and I've been tending to my family today. The question that you're wanting to ask cannot be answered by anyone on here, legally.

0 Not allowed!

The question that you're wanting to ask cannot be answered by anyone on here, legally.
    Direct contact with AOL via their established procedures is what needs to happen.
      0 Not allowed!