Choosing a router

Hi,

I have decided to set up a wireless home network to connect my two pc's and one laptop.

I am seriously considering buying the Netgear Adsl Router / Modem / 54mbps Access Point DG834G
    as the review are fantastic. But before I order, I just wanted to check that it would be suitable for want I want to do and if anyone could verify the quality of the router.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

I have that. It's the best router I've had (out of 5 so far ¬_¬). Good wireless connections, only has disconnected randomly twice so far. Only problem I have with it is when you have cables plugged into all the ports it keeps falling over if you have it on the side stand.

I have only used and have linksys routers and have never had any problems with them. My buddy uses there wireless one and is happy with it.

linksys routers are good, but if you want the best go for one of those Cisco routers. They will run around $10,000 but if properly configured they will never go down.
    Kerry Jones

before you buy might want to check out the review for this wireless access point. no adsl router i agree but apparently provides blistering wireless performance
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Thanks very much for your replies.

Can anyone tell me if I'll have to change our upgrade my ISP to use a router and share internet access?

If it helps, I use Wannadoo broadband and I live in the UK...

Thanks again,
    Jon

unless you use cable in the UK you shouldn't need any specific hardware. the router you've listed will work fine with freeserve. although they might provide some free hardware, never mind you can use it as backup
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

yep i'm getting the netgear soon and everyone i have asked so far from adsl guide has said its great, and easy to configure which is a bonus for a thicky like me....

i'm going to wireless up the laptop with it and run the x-box on it for gaming, that way i can catch some rays (wow i sound like a beach bum) in the back garden while surfing and downloading on my 1mbs line which i might say is going to be a vast improvement on my current 56k crud

Thanks for your replies, I've decided to go for the netgear.

I have found two places on the internet that stock this at a very competitive price, although the latter throws in a free wireless card (worth about £40/$71).

The second shop is selling this for a bargain, but they don't have a great reputation for taking something back if it doesn't work because of incompatibility issues (which is fair enough). What I want to know is do routers generally always work, and have no compatibillity issues, or, is there a high chance that it won't work well. Seeing as I've never bought one myself, I'm not too clear on this. Should I go ahead and order the 'bargain'?

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

I have a Netgear RT 311 router (a bit dated, but with the latest firmware), and so far it has worked with all the hardware I have. Anyways, I dont think there is any hardware compatibility issues between hardware unless of couse the hardware is faulty... Then again, I'm no hardware expert.

Also, you dont have to change ISPs. Just make sure that your router is "spoofing" its mac address with the computer that is currently connected. They'll never now.

BTW, I personally prefer Netgear. Never had any issue with their hardware.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

I just ordered the Netgear - I can't wait!

I just read a description on Amazon with the following:

"...An integrated switch lets you directly connect four computers or any combination of four computers, access points or printers."

I wasn't aware that you could connect printers to this router. Is this possible, and if so - how!? I thought a router had to have a print server or something...
    Jon

yeah i use Netgear, i like...

Originally posted by jonathanbull
    although the latter throws in a free wireless card (worth about £40/$71).
    They are thrown in (netgear wireless cards) because quite frankly they are rubbish, IMHO.
    ••• Mark Castle •••
    ••• www.captivereality.com •••
    ••• domainlabs.uk •••
    My views are my own and not those of my company.

lynkis

I like lynksis myself

I'd recommend that netgear router you're looking at. Its been the best router I've used so far, and I've had a total of 4 or 5 already. I had a 3Com router once... it was good until it blew up O_O.