server goes down for few minutes

Hi,
    I have a dedicated server with apache and postgres, the problem is that the server goes down for a few minutes every once in a while and then is up again without taking any measures. it has linux 9 and company email is also on the same server. I have no idea why it slows down and gets offline and online.
    I would really appreciate any help in this matter.

can you check your /var/log/messages and see if there are any messages in there that states what is happening to apache or postgres.

No there is no hint of anything happening to the server in the logs. Can this be anything to do with kernel? I read it in one of the other posts, but dont actually know what it means.....

it might have something to do with the company's router. I've seen places that have problems with their routers locking up when they try to push too much bandwith through them.

Yes that can be the case, but at this point we dont have much traffic on the server and we dont have more that 80 connection per day. can it be the case that the server goes in the sleep mode when not accesed for a while......its a brand new IBM server,

I've never had any problems with a default redhat 9 install doing ANYTHING even anywhere close to that. You might run a network monitor on it, and just see what it's really doing....

well ill do that, one more thing.., my postgres dosent release the connection, as the php pages are not releasing the connection, so because of this, there are large number of idle postgres connection as the time goes, i restart postgres every evening and give it 128 bit connection limit. can this idle connections cause the server to stop responding,
    In anycase do you have any way i can stop this from happening, I have no idea how to make postgres and php release the connection once the user moves to new page....

either use pg_close() or use pg_pconnect and have persistent connections (new users reuse old connections).

is there any code which i can put on php pages that will make them leave the connection to the database?