VPS - does this have the power?

I've been reselling hosting on a friend's server for a while now, and I've decided it's time to go out on my own. Right now it would not be financially responsible to go out and buy a dedicated server for myself and my clients, I would be taking a loss every month. I'm more worried about the support (or lack thereof) with my current setup. He's been great to me, but the company he buys his server from is not. I've had one client leave already due to server issues beyond my control and another is considering it.

So, I have a budget of about $80 for a monthly fee right now - that would be my break-even point. I don't have much experience at managing servers or doing anything with Linux, so I've been looking at VPSColo's Managed VPS. Their site claims that they will take care of whatever management issues I want them to, but I have the freedom to do it myself if I choose. I like that idea - I can poke around a bit and learn. No extra charge for a control panel either - I don't like the idea of renting a control panel for a monthly fee, but I don't want to lay out the cash right now for my own license.

VPSColo's base plan looks like it can handle my current needs as far as bandwidth and disk space are concerned. The only thing that has me worried is the "minimum guaranteed RAM" at 128MB and the "minimum guaranteed CPU" at 150 mHz. How much could something like this handle?

Most of my clients have osCommerce stores (currently 5). I work at developing osCommerce for people and have recruited a few to host with me as well. I've heard that osCommerce can be pretty intensive on the processor. The other sites (currently 2) are also database-driven using mySQL and PHP. I do of course hope to expand, but can this setup meet my current needs?

If you think that 128MB ram is not enough, you may look into higher plans which is still within your budget.

or go to, their VPSes have enough ram, plus they recently doubled burstable ram limit. that is, up to 1Gb on essential vps.

Ah, OSCommerce can most definitely be too intensive for what you be getting. Actually you might be better off sticking with where you are now since with the shared environment, there is no guaranteed minimum performance for each site and the application which requires the most resources would get it. Selfish as it may sound but with the shared environment, your OSCommerce would probably take the bulk of the CPU resources. - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions