Question My Friend and I Need a Good Web Host For Our Video Game Development Company

My friend and I are looking for a good web host to host a site for our video game development company. We are going to use it to upload our FREE games to the site so that visitors can download them, but eventually we will begin selling them.

*** MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! *** WE NEED A WEB HOST THAT IS TRUSTWORTHY. WE NEED A WEBHOST THAT LIVES UP TO WHAT IT SAYS IT OFFERS. WE DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH ANY SCAMS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. WE ALSO NEED SOME WAY OF BEING ABLE TO VERIFY THAT THE HOST IS TRUSTWORTY. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!

Security is extremely important to us, as we will be partially using the site as a storage server to hold game files that are currently in development; we want to be able to upload them to a secure, hidden, password-protected area of the site. We don't need to run the risk of any hackers stealing these sensitive files. We also would like to keep spam to a minimum and not have to worry about viruses.

Price is a secondary priority as we don't want to spend more than $10/month. Also, having no setup fee is a plus, but is not necessary. Also, there needs to be quarterly and annual payment options; semi-annual is a plus.

We're both beginners at building websites; neither of us have ever built one before. So we need some website building tools that are simple to use. Also, if there are low-cost professional design services available that would be great.

If the web host hosts only gaming sites and has special tools and features for these kinds of sites, then that is a definite plus!

We need our own domain name. A FREE domain name would be a plus.

Our website must run relatively fast.

We'll need at least 500MB of disk space, but 1GB would be even better.

At least 50GB of bandwidth would be great, but more would be awesome.

We need some good tools/features that will help us get noticed on the web.

We need at least 2 email addresses, but 5 or more would be even better.

We need some good programming language support, including MySQL, PHP, Java, and cgi-bin. Others are a plus.

We need 24/7 phone support. Additional e-mail support is a plus. Customer and technical support needs to be satisfactory.

We need to have plenty of room to expand to better plans as our business grows. The availability of better shared hosting options and Dedicated and Co-located server plans is an absolute necessity for future expansion.

No webhost has to fit this profile exactly, but the closer it comes to meeting these needs, the better!

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; 05-20-2004 at 11:30 PM.

Thats a good one, 10 a month for 50gb bandwidth with 24/7 phone support. You might want to visit ebay :-P
    Oh, and ASP, windows hosting is more expensive...
    Let me know if you find it, Ill buy all I can
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

Originally posted by chaud
    Thats a good one, 10 a month for 50gb bandwidth with 24/7 phone support. You might want to visit ebay :-P
    Oh, and ASP, windows hosting is more expensive...
    Let me know if you find it, Ill buy all I can
    Ooops. Didn't know ASP is Windows-only.

I edited.

Ok, you need to change the price as well, you might find that deal on ebay, a scam, most likely. Try putting it around $20 a month, and you might find a few offers...
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

Originally posted by chaud
    Ok, you need to change the price as well, you might find that deal on ebay, a scam, most likely. Try putting it around $20 a month, and you might find a few offers...
    Hmmm. I don't think that would work out too well. You think maybe if I came down some on the bandwidth that I might find a $10 offer?

Do you know any good web host(s) that fit close to this profile? That's really what I need to know.

Check out the hostquote

Its a great feature.

Yeah, hostquote, sites like thehostreport, and sigs are all good places to look.
    Down on the bandwidth would get it
    Some hosts offer like...
    1500 MB Space , 20,000 MB Bandwidth for 9.99 Monthly
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

And to have a reliable host with 24/7 support, you're really looking at having a monthly amount around $30-$60 a month.

A realistic figure for you to look at is $1.00 - $2.50 per gigabyte of transfer (bandwidth). Keep those in consideration, and you'll come across a few more hosts that'll work with you...
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

What are the benefits of having more than 1 IP address?

A website cannot have more than one IP address, unless you're doing SSL driven sites... so you really don't need more than one IP address, and heck, if you don't need SSL, stay with a shared IP addy. It'll keep your costs low.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

you can also check out offers here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd....php?forumid=4
    TopQHost - We Provide Affordable Web Hosting with Top Quality Service

Do you have MSN? Mr Nice Guy

Re: My Friend and I Need a Good Web Host For Our Video Game Development Company

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
    Security is extremely important to us, as we will be partially using the site as a storage server to hold game files that are currently in development; we want to be able to upload them to a secure, hidden, password-protected area of the site. We don't need to run the risk of any hackers stealing these sensitive files. We also would like to keep spam to a minimum and not have to worry about viruses.
    You should not store your sensitive information on a web server. And also, because you are developing a game you are going to want a CVS repository for the development process. I recommend setting up your own server for CVS and leave the webhost for file hosting only.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Originally posted by fcarsenal
    Do you have MSN? Mr Nice Guy
    No. Bellsouth.net FASTACCESS.

Re: Re: My Friend and I Need a Good Web Host For Our Video Game Development Company

Originally posted by schmeg007
    You should not store your sensitive information on a web server. And also, because you are developing a game you are going to want a CVS repository for the development process. I recommend setting up your own server for CVS and leave the webhost for file hosting only.
    How does a CVS repository work? And we don't have enough money right now to buy our own server, btw, but maybe we will later.

Question Real Web Host

Does anyone here know if www.realwebhost.net is any good? I checked them out after receiving an email from them after filling out the hostquote form here on WHT.

I checked them out with the BBB and found that they have had no customer complaints for the last 3 years; they are also a member of the BBB reliability program.

They also seem to have a lot good tools, features and services on their site.

So are they any good?

Chaud.

No. Bellsouth.net FASTACCESS.
    I think he meant just MSN messenger.

My 2 cents.

I have been hosted by primalblue.com for a little while now. They are extremely knowledgeable and answer all questions and perform all requested tasks extremely quickly. They may cost more than you are looking for, but they are awesome.

Just a quick note while I'm here. I suggest you look at your priorities a little more. First, do you really need a gig of space or even 500 megs? If you're building online games I'm going to assume you'll be using flash. If that's the case you should try using flash to build the site as well. Flash games tend to be moderately sized, so you'd really need more transfer than actual webspace. If you're talking about PC or console gaming and perhaps using your site as some sort of collaborative facilitator, that's a whole nother thing.

Your best bet is to find a webhost that will talk to you about a custom account and who can help guide you. I just posted a rave review of Z3.com, a hoster I found through this site. I'm sure there are also other hosters around that have or will contact you.

If you're only willing to spend $10 dollars or so a month for a hoster, I think you may need to rethink your listed priorities and put price at the top of the list - for that amount you might have to give up or compromise on other aspects of your request.

As far as security goes, I know that cpanel sites make it VERY easy to administer password protected directories. I'm sure many others do as well.

Originally posted by XhaLe

If you're only willing to spend $10 dollars or so a month for a hoster, I think you may need to rethink your listed priorities and put price at the top of the list - for that amount you might have to give up or compromise on other aspects of your request.
    Anyone can tell I'm a beginner at this web hosting thing.

If I was able to edit my post after 15 minutes I could have made those compromises.

Re: My Friend and I Need a Good Web Host For Our Video Game Development Company

At least 50GB of bandwidth would be great, but more would be awesome.
    At $10 a month? I stopped reading right there.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by CardFrog
    My 2 cents.

I have been hosted by primalblue.com for a little while now. They are extremely knowledgeable and answer all questions and perform all requested tasks extremely quickly. They may cost more than you are looking for, but they are awesome.
    And what site do you have with them?

Quoting the first post,
    That's like asking for a Mercedes which is not the best, but only at $100

Those don't exist
    Like someone said before, you get what you paid for
    and you DONT GET WHAT YOU DONT PAY FOR

And what site do you have with them?
    Exactly my question when I read his/her testimonial. Will we ever know?

Mr. Nice Guy, I believe you might also find http://findmyhosting.com/AdvancedSearch.asp helpful. Do a search for each company name on these boards http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s= and maybe also use google to find out what other people have experienced with them.

Thing is, the cheaper the host, the bigger the chances of them not being very good. Also, are you sure you need that much data transfer? After all, you website is just starting... Better aim to find a very good host at around $1/GB and as the website's popularity grows, think of a way to make the site pay for itself. Accepting donations or selling ads might do the trick.

Good luck!