Does anyone have experiences with Nocster shutting down servers ?

Hi,

I wonder if someone has experiences on how Nocster deals with inappropriate content. Of course I understand they might shut down a site if you host warez etc. but then if I host 350 people on the server and can't review all the content will they shut down my server or just the account that violates the terms and will they give me a chance to take action against that person ??

Because if they shut down the hole server with all 350 people on it and then its down for two days until I beg for them to just remove the inappropriate content that would really be a problem and I would be worried.

Genereally...what experiences do you have with dedicated server companies and inappropriate content ?

I mean basically...does Nocster give every person on the server the power to get your account suspended by uploading warez ?? This wouldn't be good at all. I mean everybody speaks about security and imagine there was a software error giving people on your server the possibility to shut the server down. Nobody would accept that. However if someone uploading Warez would mean you get your server suspended this would be pretty much the same. I really hope Nocster sees this and only suspends that hosting account that contains the warez while leaving the rest of the server online.

Found this on the Burst forums, posted by BurstDan:

Depending on the severity of the offense, we will contact you ahead of time. Generally, either our Abuse dept. or Customer service will email you a few times. As long as you respond and take care of it yourself, we will not get involved. However, if we get no response after multiple tries, we will suspend the server as a whole. We do not remove individual sites unless asked to by the server owner.
    If you have further questions on this, please contact our customer service.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

In one case, they shut down our entire server for mp3s that were copyrighted by the band that had written and recorded them. This was just one of the many reasons I left Nocster for SM. Support was generally fast when this occurred, but it was painful seeing _everything_ shut down for something that was not illegal.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

That is really bad customer relations policy!! (adds Nocster to his personal avoid list).

They should always contact the registered customer of the server, not just take it upon themselves to take an entire server offline. I hope the person received substantial compensation, and then found a provider elsewhere.

I have had one bad experience with people hosting warez on one of my servers, MIAA contacted me demanding that the site be taken offline or I would be liable to prosecution. The first thing I did was phone the customer (I am in the UK, he is in the US), it turns out the material the MIAA were so worried about was a skating video my client had made. People are too quick to overreact!
    LowCostDedi Ltd - www.LowCostDedi.co.uk

The problem is they are legally forced to remove inappropriate content immediately as soon as they know about it.

However I think they should just remove the inappropriate content rather than shutting down the whole server.

As I order more servers with them I will ask them for a custom contract allowing them to shut down just that account but not the whole server. I think once I have 10 or more servers with them they will think about it.

We usually contact the server owner first.
    The entire server is not pulled unless we do not get a response back from them after several attempts.

Exceptions are if it is obvious that the server owner is the culprit, or if it is affacting service to other clients..ie...a ddos'd/flooding server.

Our abuse dept handles each sitution on a case by case basis....

Originally posted by BurstNET
    The entire server is not pulled unless we do not get a response back from them after several attempts.

Exceptions are if it is obvious that the server owner is the culprit, or if it is affacting service to other clients..ie...a ddos'd/flooding server.

Thanks, I'm very happy with the Nocster server and support, by the way.

We had an incident with Host Europe a few months back. A user was hosting a load of mp3's, the UK version of the RIAA (cant remember their name) sent Host Europe a Cease and Desist Order. Host Europe called me, said "We've got the order, would you mind doing something about it? As you know, the content of your server is your problem, so we're not going to do anything about it"

For a big company like Host Europe, I was quite pleased with that.
    laslo.ca
    Quality Canadian Web Hosting

Originally posted by BurstNET

Excellent stuff

Originally posted by Hamlesh
    That is really bad customer relations policy!! (adds Nocster to his personal avoid list).

They should always contact the registered customer of the server, not just take it upon themselves to take an entire server offline. I hope the person received substantial compensation, and then found a provider elsewhere.

I have had one bad experience with people hosting warez on one of my servers, MIAA contacted me demanding that the site be taken offline or I would be liable to prosecution. The first thing I did was phone the customer (I am in the UK, he is in the US), it turns out the material the MIAA were so worried about was a skating video my client had made. People are too quick to overreact!
    I've NEVER had Nocster shut down a server without notice first, with the exception of someone running IRC, hosting illegal MP3s, and getting DDOSed at the same time. We've had AUP violations everywhere from spam, to warez (including the official KaZaA Lite site being hosted there), and they've always notified us, and never pulled a server if there was action taken by the owner of the server.

-Josh

I am with Burst right now and have not had any problems. The only time they have pulled my server offline is when it was consuming a TON of bandwith in a short amount of time, they contacted me right away and we got the issue resolved.
    hm what should I put in my sig?

This company has a lot of loyal customers, that is really nice to see. Its always very warming to see customers gather round to defend "their" company.

Originally posted by Hamlesh
    This company has a lot of loyal customers, that is really nice to see. Its always very warming to see customers gather round to defend "their" company.
    I've had sites at Nocster personally for almost 2 years , and have a large number of resold servers there - I was simply giving the poster an answer to his question. What was to defend here? You posted "That is really bad customer relations policy!! " after one user posted - If you relied on only one customer's experience, you'd never find a host to go with. I can point you to people who've had issues with every major dedicated server host.

I also have servers at TailoredServers.com, and RackOnline.com, and have had servers at WholesaleInternet.com, *******.com, and have or had shared accounts at Ev1, FDC, Alabanza, and am contemplating getting a backup account from GNAX. I can share experiences from any and all of them if needed here, and have occasionally.

-Josh

That is one issue from one client. As Josh started to mention, we've received at least 30+ abuse complaints over more than a year, and only one server was shut down. 99% of the time, they will contact you first, unless it is a very serious issue. Have you read the stories about ServerMatrix sending a few servers to the FBI? Guess that means to scratch them off the list too. And EV1 taking servers offline? Scratch them. FDC disabling servers with warez sites, Managed.com taking down servers for spamming, the list goes on & on. Most hosts are very reasonable, I know all of the companies that I mentioned are very reasonable when it comes to complaints (most of the time, from what I hear).

Nocster gave us a decent window to disable a site the other day since it wasn't a massive problem, that was done without incident, my client removed the site in 36 hours. Worst comes to worst, Nocster can even help you track down & disable the site if it's hard to find (if somebody is sending spam with tricky scripts), they've helped us work on a difficult situation before.

- Matt