SpamAssassin and cPanel

Hello

I’m trying to figure out how to use SpamAssassin with cPanel. The main problem I am having is checking the Spam Box. I want to send everything in the Spam Box to one email address. Please keep in mind I am not a programmer, just a humble Graphic Designer.

The instructions say
    “You easily can use IMAP or Horde/IMP to check messages that are routed to this box. If you wish to use pop3 to check the spam box, just add "/spam" (without the quotes) to the end of your pop3 login. (Example: [email protected]/spam)”

I have tried that but it did not work in Horde or any of the pop3 programs that I tried.

Thanks for you help.
    Richie

use the pop3 for outlook express

Ok so why doesnt this work with other pop3 programs, and not with horde?

Richie

for Horde

You can only access the Spam Box with the Horde webmail interface. Login to your control panel, click "Webmail", then login to the Horde mail interface. Click on "Inbox", then click on the drop-down menu in the upper right portion of the screen. If you have Spam Box enabled and have received any spams, there will be a "spam" folder listed below your Inbox folder. Note: You won't see the spam folder until you have actually received some spam emails. Select the spam folder to view the list of suspicious emails. You may then select the messages you know are junk and delete them.

If you don't plan on using Horde, then don't enable Spam Box. If you don't get that many spams in a week, you probably don't need Spam Box. But if you get several spams a day, Spam Box can help keep your inbox clutter-free.

=> Spambox support via POP3. You can now get your spambox mail by adding "/spam" to the end of your pop3 email login/username.
    Last edited by shraz; 05-21-2004 at 02:17 AM.

The issue with the SPAM box is that CPanel drops it into a folder in the e-mail box of the primary login for the domain, no matter the e-mail address the SPAM is sent to.

For example: Your Domain is mydomain.com and your username is mydom for CPanel, if someone SPAMs [email protected] and it is dropped into the SPAM box you will have to log into Horde as mydom to see the SPAM.

Originally posted by NEO-Host
    The issue with the SPAM box is that CPanel drops it into a folder in the e-mail box of the primary login for the domain, no matter the e-mail address the SPAM is sent to.

For example: Your Domain is mydomain.com and your username is mydom for CPanel, if someone SPAMs [email protected] and it is dropped into the SPAM box you will have to log into Horde as mydom to see the SPAM.
    That sucks if this is the case. You'll end up getting plenty of trouble tickets for this one if it's offered I'm sure.

Originally posted by NEO-Host

I am trying to choose the best control panel for my hosting clients, and it seems that cPanel hosts cannot enable SpamAssasin on an individual email account basis ... is this correct?

Personally I prefer the ability to enable spam software on an individual mailbox basis. I have seen information that suggests that Plesk 7 can do this, but so far I still have no evidence that it can be done in any version of cPanel.

Actually I much prefer to use a whitelist system that sends auto-replies to senders whose "From" or "Reply-To" address is not on the list. Spammers never follow up on automated replies but real people do, and this system beats just about any other spam system I have found. I built a system like this (on a server running Communigate Pro) for my personal use and it works well, but I would prefer to find one that is freeware or commercial and that my hosting clients could use. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Originally posted by kengrome
    Personally I prefer the ability to enable spam software on an individual mailbox basis. I have seen information that suggests that Plesk 7 can do this, but so far I still have no evidence that it can be done in any version of cPanel.
    On Plesk 7, SpamAssassin is configured on a per mailbox basis.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

On cPanel you can enable SpamAssassin on a per domain (account) basis, but not on a per user (email account) basis.

I personally don't use the spam box, and have turned it off for all my clients. You can find users who are using the spambox here, as there isn't an option in WHM to show this:

FAQ: How can I find which domains are using the 'spambox'?
    http://unofficial-support.com/node/view/24
    Unofficial-Support(.com) | Dedicated To Supporting Your Server

• Designed, Hosted & Maintained by Zealous Works Ltd • http://www.zealousworks.com/ •

CpanelPro does include Box Trapper which if enabled will:

send an auto reply to whoever sends you mail for the first time asking them to reply as a way to confirm "that you are a real person". Once they reply their mail is delivered as expected from then on.
    Sounds like that would be your first choice, so why not go with it since CPanelPro offers it.
    Though not sure if you can still get CPanelPro free so that may be a reason not to go that way!
    Tony Kammerer - Admin, United Communications Limited
    UnitedHosting.co.uk - High Quality UK and USA based web hosting, reseller hosting, and managed clouds and dedicated servers.
    UnitedForums.co.uk - Our lively customer community with over 40,000 posts!
    ***Proudly hosting over 70,000 customer websites since 1998!***

Originally posted by DomineauX
    CpanelPro does include Box Trapper which if enabled will send an auto reply to whoever sends you mail for the first time asking them to reply as a way to confirm "that you are a real person". Once they reply their mail is delivered as expected from then on.
    This is similar to the filters I built for myself in Communigate Pro, but if it's a free cPanel feature I cannot help wondering why I have never heard of it until now? It seems I have visited a lot more cPanel hosting sites than Plesk or others, but this is the first I've heard of Box Trapper.

Anyways I think this is the very best solution to spam prevention because it doess not rely on algorithms that can mistakenly get rid of good email messages. Using the Box Trapper method would make it impossible to miss an important message -- unless the sender doesn't bother to reply the first time he sends a message from a particular email address -- and if this is the case then he really doesn't care to communicate with you, does he?

Spammers almost never reply of course, all they usually do is try to send you to their web site, so Box Trapper would not let their email go thru. But on the outside chance that a spammer DOES reply (which would apparently place his email address on the "white list") does Box Trapper have a "black list" that would override any white listed addresses? Or haven't the authors considered this to be a necessary feature?

Yes, it does have a blacklist and whitelist available.
    Not sure if this is the proper site for info but its a place to start:

http://pro.cpanel.net/
    Tony Kammerer - Admin, United Communications Limited
    UnitedHosting.co.uk - High Quality UK and USA based web hosting, reseller hosting, and managed clouds and dedicated servers.
    UnitedForums.co.uk - Our lively customer community with over 40,000 posts!
    ***Proudly hosting over 70,000 customer websites since 1998!***

More information on Pro can be found here:

FAQ: What is cPanel Pro? Where can I download it?
    http://unofficial-support.com/node/view/31
    Unofficial-Support(.com) | Dedicated To Supporting Your Server

• Designed, Hosted & Maintained by Zealous Works Ltd • http://www.zealousworks.com/ •