Thread: Php?????

Question Php?????

i was asking to myself what can you do with a webhost that supports php???

thanks to all who respond

what exactly do you mean?

Simple question, simple answer: You can use PHP scripts.

You can do any number of things with PHP, it's all dependent on what your needs are. For some folks, a simple message board is fine. For others, they need/want full blown content management systems... so they can focus on content instead of the layout work involved. It's a time saver for them.

Best thing I could suggest that you do is to run over to www.php.net and take a peek at what it is.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

i want to know what you do with php, what you create with it ?

PHP is a scripting language for the web and works well with mySQL data base.
    Some of the web hosts that offer php will also offer mySQL data bases. Then you can install php/mySQL scripts to make being a webmaster easier. Ask your webhost if they offer Fantastico with cPanel and you will be able to install these scripts with a click of a mouse.
    Blogs, Galleries, News Sites and more.
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com
    AIM Screen Name - buyourweb
    More power than a web site needs - xController cPanel theme and Fantastico

These sites where all made with PHP/mySQL Scripts.
    http://www.postnuke.com
    http://www.phpnuke.com
    http://www.oscommerce.com
    Hope this helps a little, go see the examples.
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com
    AIM Screen Name - buyourweb
    More power than a web site needs - xController cPanel theme and Fantastico

Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP)

Self-referentially short for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor, an open source, server-side, HTML embedded scripting language used to create dynamic Web pages. In an HTML document, PHP script (similar syntax to that of Perl or C ) is enclosed within special PHP tags. Because PHP is embedded within tags, the author can jump between HTML and PHP (similar to ASP and Cold Fusion) instead of having to rely on heavy amounts of code to output HTML. And, because PHP is executed on the server, the client cannot view the PHP code. PHP can perform any task that any CGI program can do, but its strength lies in its compatibility with many types of databases. Also, PHP can talk across networks using IMAP, SNMP, NNTP, POP3, or HTTP. PHP was created sometime in 1994 by Rasmus Lerdorf. During mid 1997, PHP development entered the hands of other contributors. Two of them, Zeev Suraski and Andi Gutmans, rewrote the parser from scratch to create PHP version 3 (PHP3).
    Mediopia Technologies, Inc - Call Toll Free (24 x 7): 1-877-807-HOST
    Windows and Linux Reseller and Shared Web Hosting Plans
    SiteStudio, ASP, ASP.net, PHP, CGI, Coldfusion MX 6.1, Frontpage, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL ...
    http://www.mediopia.biz/

You can make a nice interactive website
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

For example, this forum is created with php.
    New site: www.talkutas.com

You can do lots of stuff. Here are some links:
    www.php.net
    www.phpbuilder.com
    PHP is great for lots of different internet applications.

A really good advantage of PHP is that once it is set up it is easily edited and modded to suit your own needs without having to use a WYSIWYG program like Dreamweaver most forums run on PHP as it allows you to connect to a database to get info, however one down side is that it is often difficult to get a site to rank well in a search engine.

Jack.

Originally posted by jnacool
    A really good advantage of PHP is that once it is set up it is easily edited and modded to suit your own needs without having to use a WYSIWYG program like Dreamweaver most forums run on PHP as it allows you to connect to a database to get info, however one down side is that it is often difficult to get a site to rank well in a search engine.

Jack.
    Ugh... How would it be different to edit than normal (X)HTML?
    And how's getting ranked in a search engine related to using PHP or not - eg. you can still use metatags, and with the help of mod_rewrite all your pages can be indexed (if needed)

Originally posted by Earendil
    Ugh... How would it be different to edit than normal (X)HTML?
    And how's getting ranked in a search engine related to using PHP or not - eg. you can still use metatags, and with the help of mod_rewrite all your pages can be indexed (if needed)
    Fair point on the idea about the search engines but what i meant was for example adding a new article, rather than typing it all into a WYSIWYG editor you can add it directly from the admin pannel, it is more difficult to set up i agree however once it's set up it is slightly easier to maintain the site itself.

That also has nothing to do with PHP itself, but with the application written in PHP.
    An application such as PHPnuke/Postnuke/some other CMS.

Alrite then sorry my mistake, I thought he was wondering what the advantages of the apps were.

PHP is a excellent tool and most newer and up to date hosting companies should have this install on all thier servers or at least one or two for thier customers sake
    Charles R. Wieland
    Chief Technical Officer
    Phima Group, LLC
    http://www.phimagroup.com

Question: How important is PHP support to the lot of you? Would you take a host seriously if they did not support PHP? Would you sign up with them if they did not?
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

I would not, but being I work for a hosting company my say shouldnt really matter, but now a days PHP is becoming more and more important.
    Charles R. Wieland
    Chief Technical Officer
    Phima Group, LLC
    http://www.phimagroup.com