Very simple question about MX Records

Let's say I have both domain.com and domain.net registered.

Not going to use for websites, just using the dot-net for mail.

Will have multiple identities such as joe@domain.net & bob@domain.net.

All the email addresses will be @domain.net

But would like to have it so if someone mistakenly sends to @domain.com the mail will still be received.

I know that when sending email to an @eart*****.net address, if @eart*****.com is used instead, it still works. (That's what gave me the idea to set it up this way.)

Thanks

You simply setup a "default e-mail address" or otherwise known as a catchall.

So, you have the domain "domain.com"
    You create a few mailboxes/addresses:

john@domain.com
    steve@domain.com
    lucy@domain.com
    mary@domain.com
    mike@domain.com

The mail is routed to the correct mailbox.

You cna alos setup a "catchall" or "default" address and forward it to another address of your choice (or a mailbox in its own right).
    So, I create the "catchall" mailbox of unknown@domain.com
    I set this as my "catchall" in my Control Panel.

If somebody sends a mail to - anything other than a real address@domain.com then it will be routed to the catchall address.

Hey thanks Bladerunner,

I know how to make pop3's, forwarders, a catchall and all those basics. Of course, I could simply make a catchall for the dot-com domain and make it forward to one of the dot-net pop3's.

Irrespective of what I am going to do, let me put this question to you or anyone else who may know:

What I was really attempting to ask (kick me) was how does the following work:

I can get email at both myname@eart*****.net and myname@eart*****.com? The case being that the "real" address is myname@eart*****.net but if someone sends mail to myname@eart*****.com it comes to my "real" box. How is this achieved?

That can be achieved in a number of ways.
    If they are seperate linux machines a .forward file in the persons home directory can do the trick
    You can create an entry in a forward file for each e-mail address OR you can add a rewrite rule to rewrite eart*****.com to eart*****.net
    The exact file and where to make the change , and what to change, depends on what it is you are using as your smtp server (sendmail,exim,etc.)

Well thanks demonmoo.

In the case of the ISP eart*****, it's probably the rewrite method... beyond my scope of knowledge.

I'm going to start a new thread and ask a very general question about MX records.

Thanks again guys!

Just setup an additional MX record like this:

name.net accepts mail for name.com

Joe

it really doesn't have anything todo with MX , it has todo with the mail server itself.

if you point both domains to the same mailserver in MX then at the mailserver you configure to forward anything@domain.com togo to anything@domain.net

i used todo it on sendmail and list several domains for our users to choose from so they can have theirname@any.of.our.domains.xxx

so what server hosting your domains? cPanel plain *nix box with sendmail ?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi