Question ipowerweb dedicated server slow

I've had an dedicated server at ipowerweb since january this year. In the beginning when I was setting things up I experienced absolutely no slow upload/download times whatsoever.
    After I started my apache server things worked ok for a while until about 3-4 weeks ago when some pirate forums started linking to files on the site, so I assumed that was why the server was acting so terribly slow (30min download times for 7mb files when I before had 5-6min download times for such files).
    Today I tried shutting down the apache server, checking traffic using iptraf, it showed I was the only one using server, and bandwidth usage was around 70kbits/sec, still the download time for me was over 30min for a 7MB file (I'm using a fast university line to connect to internet and as noted I used to have 5-6min downloa times for such files).

Thus still beeing new at managing dedicated servers (done so since january ) I'm curious if there are any other ipowerweb Dedicated Server users here that have experienced something similar.

(I've read some other threads on this forum complaining about ipowerweb, but those were about the lack of admin panels, basic software installation and the support, not about speed or reliability. On that note they do have support but it's rather annoying with those "we'll reply in 24h mails" and having to resend question 3-4 times before they get what I really asked, if ever..)

I need a few things, your server spec, OS, control panel(if any).

Also, what server loads are you getting?Plus, you have an IP t ping, or your website?

Originally posted by daejuanj
    I need a few things, your server spec, OS, control panel(if any).

Also, what server loads are you getting?Plus, you have an IP t ping, or your website?
    Server specs are
    -Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz
    -256 MB PC133 RAM
    -40 GB IDE (8ms or less access time)
    -nic is a 10/100
    Running
    -RH9
    -no panel
    -load averages between 300-400kbits/sec as far as I can tell (when checking with iptraf), total bandwidth per day is 10-15GB on average (from webalizer, but webtraffic is almost all traffic)
    -Server's ip is 66.235.194.89 (hosting wildsnake, with a com at the end as I don't get to type in url's)

I tried to ftp to a freebsd server from my dedicated server and managed to download to my server a 9MB file in 2.5min. I then tried to ftp from my computer to the same freebsd server and get pretty much the same download time. But when I try to download the same file to my computer from my server I get a 30-40min download time... Doesn't make sense to me.

Has anyone else reading this got an dedicated server account at ipowerweb, that is either working fine with fast access or is slow like for me? I don't know what could possibly be wrong sw-wise with server to cause this. I'm considering switching to another provider but want to be sure I'll be likely to see an increase in speed. I don't know that ipowerweb offers any minimum kbits/sec guarantee, is that a common thing for providers to offer (in some sense, so that I'm not likely to experience slow download times when I don't really have to)?

Well, I get prety high pings (80ms).
    SSH to your server and type w or top.

Originally posted by daejuanj
    Well, I get prety high pings (80ms).
    SSH to your server and type w or top.
    No load average, 18:42:26 up 36 days, 9:30, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

High pings, but do you get high download speed?

Have you got any comments on what kinds of speed other providers guarantee if any (like ServerMatrix)?

I didn't realize before they might allocate different bandwidth for upload/download, so I guess that's why I got the result in previous post.

I don't know about download speeds, but your site loads a bit slow. On a 500k DSL connection.
    Servermatrix is good. SO is BurstNET, Superbservers, Gnax.

Re: ipowerweb dedicated server slow

Originally posted by xflies
    Thus still beeing new at managing dedicated servers (done so since january ) I'm curious if there are any other ipowerweb Dedicated Server users here that have experienced something similar.
    I don't want to liter the entire site w/ my ranting but yes. There is another moron out there...

Well I would post a link to another thread on this site but I don't have 5 post so,

Do yourself a favor and listen to these guys,

I have a dedicated server with iPowerWeb. I also have a 36 day old ticket that still hasn't been resolved. Their support is pitiful. The people you get on the phone can do no more that type keys on a keyboard and read from a FAQ. If you ever have a real problem just give up. They do NOT house their servers in house they purchase rack space from another company so when something goes wrong that requires attention from on site you’re screwed. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and intend to file a suite against them because I have lost clients because of their poor service.

I will make it my mission to tell everyone I can about the treatment that I have recieved from iPowerWeb.

Chad

Re: Re: ipowerweb dedicated server slow

Originally posted by white_2kgt
    I will make it my mission to tell everyone I can about the treatment that I have recieved from iPowerWeb.
    Me too.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=217068

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what "Ryan" at IPowerWeb's last name is? A while back I had an all too similar experience with another LA based dedicated company fronted by someone named Ryan.

are you talking about yourself? your name is "Ryan" as well LOL

what company are you dealing with? any website?