Thread: Colo in Orlando

Colo in Orlando

Been searching around Orlando for a good fit for my biz. Found iLand in Maitland, and Marlin Esourcing in Kissimee.

Would've gone with iLand but they have this ridiculous policy of charging ME for access to my own server at a rate of $95/hour. They claim they have to pay datacenter employees that because they have no staff of their own at their datacenters.

Called Level3 which owns the center and they told me iLand is the only reseller in that building. Don't know if that's true or if they just aren't allowed to say.

Am considering Marlin. Noticed there's not much mention of them on the boards. If anyone has opinions on their service, reliability I'd appreciate any input.
    sysTame(TM) internet services
    Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
    WebObjects Hosting
    www.systame.com

Atlantic.net and Reseller Center both offer colo I believe. They are in the Greater Orlando area and I believe both have reps on WHT.
    Rob
    Founder and former owner of SRLnet. Sold in 2006

Yeah, checked both of them out. They're a little pricey for what I want to do -- resell co-lo.

Level3 is at 380 Lake Destiny Drive, Orlando 32810. What are you looking for?
    Best Wishes,

Blake L. Smith - [email protected]
    XtremeBandwidth.com, Inc. - Wholesale Tier1 Bandwidth!

> What are you looking for?

Checked your website. Looks like your minimum is more than I need at the moment. Wanted 2U with 1Mb bandwidth.

We work with Marlin not sure what kind of deal that gave you but they are good, email me some time maybe I can help you out with them. We have a lot of racks over there.. Marlin is 1000% better then Atlantic.net's datacenter thats for sure.

I like Sagonet there data center is in tampa.. (not sure how much of a drive that is ) I've never visited there data center.. (tampa I did visit Miami, only later did I wish I had when I had the chance) but there support is pretty good as are there prices.. (you may know them as unitedcolo.com)

>I like Sagonet there data center is in tampa..

Hmmm...there prices seem TGTBT. $1/month for 500 Gb?

Tampa is definitely not convenient. Especially if I had an emergency during rush hour.
    sysTame(TM) internet services
    Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
    WebObjects Hosting
    www.systame.com

http://www.atlantic.net/launch.php?page_id=88

Atlantic.net is a nice datacenter, in Orlando

and Marin was mentioned
    http://www.marliness.net/colocation.htm

If I were in the area and wanting to set up such an operation I would request to take a tour of those two places, and compare the options after a tour.

Originally posted by systame
    >I like Sagonet there data center is in tampa..

Hmmm...there prices seem TGTBT. $1/month for 500 Gb?

Tampa is definitely not convenient. Especially if I had an emergency during rush hour.
    Sago? I cant find them prices on there. Can you send the link?

> Sago? I cant find them prices on there. Can you send the link?

Hmm, can't find it now. I didn't dream it up though. Maybe I wasn't on Sago's site :-(

Maybe was unitedcolo which is in the same DC. They have that price. 1U $49 & BW 500 Gig for $1. Or something like that.

As I understand it unitedcolo is owned by Sagonet but they market it as different (of course I'm not saying that's official, but I get all my support from Sago and when you email unitedcolo you talk to Sago lol)

There's a old thread where some victims of the original unitedcolo complained as there servers where shipped and sold (sold as in the whole company was sold) to sago with no notification to anyone.. (and there was supposedly some numerous downtime) In addition it goes on to say these are the same people that started managed.com and that's a good reason not to trust them.. (I dunno hit the search button.. I'm too lazy and just recanting unofficially what I remember reading, I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will recant this)

This has the $1 offer again http://unitedcolo.com
    Last edited by Ophelus; 05-23-2004 at 01:08 AM.

Rocketcolo.net does colocation in Orlando, I suggest them if your intrested!
    Max
    Web Hosting Talk Community Guide

Atlantic.net has a really big data center off I4 and Lee Rd, I went there for a job interview recently and MOST of the DC is _empty_ with supposedly everything running from there.

You might be able to negotiate something decent with them.

Atlantic.net has a really big data center off I4 and Lee Rd, I went there for a job interview recently and MOST of the DC is _empty_ with supposedly everything running from there.

You might be able to negotiate something decent with them.
    Thanks.

I colo'd with Vortech and really wouldn't recommend it if you have customers that demand reliability. You have no guarantee that your box will stay up.

paulrpayne, your box was that one that had the issue nothing wrong with our colo. Please move on and stop trying to bash us after you RAN out of a colo with you box behind our back and just to try and skip out on your bill. Just admit it and move on my man.

And get alife..

You'll never get a "guarantee that your box will stay up" because the definition of a colocation is that you are the one managing the box, they just manage the network and power.

ownwebnow, he still seems to think 6 months latter.. You would think by now he would under stand the term "colo" its his own box. Guess not..

onewebnow, yeah... you're right... seems pretty simple. I mean all they have to do is provide power and a network connection, right? That's what I thought. Unfortunately about half-way through my year contract they decide they want to move the box. They don't have the admin password, so instead of contacting me to get it they just pull the plug on it. Well... that corrupts the drive and starts 3 days of me trying to get them even look into the issue... all the while with the box down. In the end, I moved my box to another facility... even though it cost me $600 to pay off the rest of the contract.

Anyway... like I said... I wouldn't recommend them.

I understand the issue and I've had a similar ISP mishaps happen to me, but thats what comes with the territory. If you get a colocation from a company with no/poor reputation, poor technical skills, no remote hands... I'm not saying that it applies to these guys, but if you're getting a colo from anybody that doesn't have 24/7 remote hands available (ie, Verio, rackspace) you are taking your chances.

-Vlad

ownwebnow, we do offer 24/7 support, we moved datacenters, we sent ALL customers emails to send us root or administrator logins paulrpayne NEVER did and was his own fault. Funny how he never had a flood of "vortech" customers come to his little form to bitch about us after 9 months or how ever long its been.

I really have nothing else to say on this matter as we will be opening a case for copyright and trademark on him. So I was just advised not to reply to him any longer on the matter but wanted to set that straight.
    Last edited by Vortech; 05-29-2004 at 04:09 PM.

ownwebnow, believe who you want. But be warned.

I wouldn't trust anyone who says their support is 27 hours a day.

I'm not taking sides or trying to mediate your argument, just pointing out the obvious.. that with colocations you are taking chances with the quality of your machine, quality of the network your machine is placed on and ULTIMATELY the staff that supports that data center.

Please drop the flame war, this was a thread looking for a good colocation facility in Orlando. You've both had your say, take the rest to Judge Judy

Does anyone have any other recomendations for colo in the Orlando area? Looking for some one that will take a mid tower instead of a 1U for a good price.

Let me know if you find one.. We looked at a few in November and were so impressed by what we saw in Orlando that we shipped all our systems to Dallas.