Question How To Create A Linux/Unix Software Installer?

I am a PHP programmer, and I want to be able to provide an easy installer for Linux/Unix users to assist my installations. I program MySQL also and my programs are a mix of PHP files and a database that requires installation also.

I have been looking on the web for the following information, but have not found the info I am seeking.

1. Aside from search engines, where should I look on the web for more information about programming such an installer? Does anyone have a link or two in this regard?

2. What language(s) is the installer created in? I am assuming C.

3. Are there any programs that can be downloaded or purchased that can help assist the installer creation process?

Thanks.

wscreate:

There are many UNIX/Linux installer programs located at:

http://sourceforge.net

Under the search box, type: installer

For example, here's a sample installer listing on Sourceforge:

Multi Install - A cool looking installer for multiple programs via the same menu system. Fully skinnable and with music background support and easy to use editor. Uses XML as database format. Programming language: Delphi Os: WinAll

These installer programs are mostly written in C/C++ and PHP, and include source code, that can be modified and re-used under GPL. Quite a few of the installer install PHP elements, and SQL databases. In my programming experience, the source code of open source projects were helpful, especially in implementing, and making the installers for my projects.

I hope this information is helpful.
    IM: tweak1870

I program MySQL also and my programs are a mix of PHP files and a database that requires installation also.
    Have you considered writing a PHP script to handle the installation?
    For example, phpBB uses such a script.

Otherwise, when one thinks of an installer for Linux, one would think of an rpm or debian package, but that isnt really suitable here.

For example, here's a sample installer listing on Sourceforge
    Unfortunately, that example doesnt appear intended for Linux at all.
    #include<cstdio>
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";
    int main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}

Originally posted by laserlight
    Have you considered writing a PHP script to handle the installation?
    For example, phpBB uses such a script.
    Yes, I am considering writing my own script, which is an option. However, if I can find a pre-created installer for Linux, that will save me time and that is what I am hoping for.

Thanks for your help.

the problem with making an installer that you run like

sh app_install.bin

is that nobody has a stock location for the apache www files.. unless you only suport like a standard RH build

Hmmm. I have been looking voraciously for such a script for the past few days, and I have found a few that sounded good, only to find that they were not very far along in production. So, I am still at square one.

I hope someone has some new ideas about this. I am willing to purchase a script, it does not need to be a free script. Anyway, I will keep searching.