Is this server powerful enough

Hi all

I'm new here, so bear with me if I sound daft.

I'm currently hosting my websites under a reseller package but was thinking of moving them to a managed dedicated solution. I've found some low end servers which aren't much more expensive than my reseller package. A typical example is shown below:

Pentium III 733Mhz
    128 MB RAM - Kingston Technology
    10 GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive Seagate
    5 IP Addresses
    100GB Monthly Transfer

In terms of bandwidth/disk space it's fine, I'm not so sure the processor and (particulary) the ram are sufficient.

I look after a handful of sites, all except one of which are just simple info sites. The remaining one is an oscommerce based webstore with some 500+ and growing product line. Oscommerce is quite a db intensive application.

Do you think a server such as this will be up to the job?

Thanks,
    Brian.

Is it going to run any control panel? Do you know how to manage a server?

Is it going to run any control panel? Do you know how to manage a server?
    The ones I was looking at have DirectAdmin included.

No I don't know how to manage a server. I do know my way around a linux box and know a little about setting up a firewall on one. I could hardly say I was a expert though.

I do have a strong programming background which I'm sure will help and a close friend who does maintain *nix servers for our local university.

Brian.

i would not use that server even close to hosting at all
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

For less than 100GB traffic, I believe it can handle it, perhaps a little load pressure.

i would not use that server even close to hosting at all
    Could you elaborate? What would be your minimum spec for hosting?

Brian.

I would get a little more RAM...
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

Originally posted by baj3171
    Could you elaborate? What would be your minimum spec for hosting?

Brian.
    if it is more like bandwidth usage with no db's not much of scripts then minimum will be 2.0 celeron with 512 ram

normal multi accounts hosting wont get less the a p4 2.4 with 1 GB ram.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    For less than 100GB traffic, I believe it can handle it, perhaps a little load pressure.
    It actually depends on the type of traffic. With downloads it should easily push more than 500GB..

For dynamic content, I'm not sure it can do 100GB monthly

The 128MB of memory is definitely not enough for the Commerce site alone. A mySQL batch job would easily chew up that cpu.

Originally posted by Boost
    if it is more like bandwidth usage with no db's not much of scripts then minimum will be 2.0 celeron with 512 ram

normal multi accounts hosting wont get less the a p4 2.4 with 1 GB ram.
    I think the server I'm on is a p4 2.4 with either 1 or 2gb ram and I share it with dozens of other users.

I am only going to host 5 sites on this server and only one of them is db/script intensive. I won't hit 100GB bandwidth even if hits increase 20 fold as there is no downloading, just php generated html.

When I started looking I was thinking along the lines of 1.0-1.3 processor and 256mb ram.

I think the biggest problem with the spec I posted is the ram and maybe the processor. Everything else looked sufficent for my needs.

Brian.

More than the processor I guess if you could upgrade the ram it would be much much better

If you are going to run a control panel on the machine then it will most certainly be bogged down. The memory should also be upgraded to at least 1GB. There are many companies out there that will offer you managed servers. When someone offers you this always ask for the Statement of work. Most will tap dance around the question as most only do basic montoring and notification along with hot fixes and patches. There are very few companies that will actually truely manage the server for you. The one's that actually do it are extremly high priced. One thing to remember when it comes to a Managed Server. If the price is extremely low chances are the level of service will be low as well.

you people are nuts!! the processor is fine, the only thing I would look into upgrading would be the RAM, 512mb would more than likely do what you want to do very nicely!

True, the CPU should do fine but the RAM most definitely need to be increased. You be surprised at how much exponentially the performance would be improved with just a little more RAM.

Do monitor the SWAP and when you see it growing out of control and feeling sluggish, you may want to start adding more RAM.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Thanks all.

Certainly some food for thought there. I thought the ram would be the main problem.

Time to do some thinking...

Thanks again,
    Brian.

for standard 5 sites (even with DB) this server should be fine. You could host even more, so go for it if it costs about the same as reseller package.

regards,
    M.