hosting own web server

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help. I am thinking of starting my own small website but i would like to host it myself. I have looked into it and am a bit confused. Here is what i understand:

1: Purchase a domain name
    2: Set the website up on my computer

I am a bit confused as to how i get the domain name attached to my ip address??

Also, what happens with the email addresses? Can i simply use [email protected]?

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

you'd have to install a mail daemon program. depends on what OS your running. to setup the website you also need a HTTP daemon (apache, IIS, etc).

Theirs some software to install, but can easily be done
    Joe
    www.DollarWebHosting.Biz
    |:| Shared |:| Reseller |:| Dedicated |:|

hi, thanks for the reply. I am running win xp and have already installed apache. Would i just configure apache with my ip address and domain name then? Can you suggest any of the mail programs you talked about?

I am a bit confused as to how i get the domain name attached to my ip address??
    DNS does this. When you registered your domain you specified some DNS servers (or probably the registrar filled these in for you). Now you should do the following:

1. Choose a DNS host. For hosting your first site it's best to choose a Dynamic DNS service such as Custom DNS from dyndns.org so in case your IP address changes, your site will still be accessible.

2. Once you've signed up with that Dynamic DNS service, then log in to your domain registration at the registrar, and change the two DNS entries to point to the DNS service you chose in step 1.

Tom
    http://www.dynamis.net
    A small domain host focusing on personalized service.

Just out of curiosity - are you using a high-speed connection at home?

How many simultaneous web users can be supported on cable or DSL?

Also, make sure that it's okay with your ISP that you host a site... most ISP's will not permit this, and have clauses in their TOS about this.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Good point. I'm not allowed to host a site with Optimum Online..

What exactly is it that you are looking to do with hosting your own server . You are looking at a lease line direct from the NIC with tonnes of formalities and technical expertise required ...not to mention cost

I just think he wants something basic to run a website, With all the cheap plans out there you are probably better off on getting a low priced web hosting company.
    Charles R. Wieland
    Chief Technical Officer
    Phima Group, LLC
    http://www.phimagroup.com

That could get quite expensive. Leasing a dedicated line for just your site?

Hosting it yourself sounds great in theory, but may cost you more than you were hoping to save.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

I agree, the way pricing is being offered today it's much easier to have it hosted somplace else.
    [WTB] Established Hosting Company
    EMail: [email protected]