managed.com Downtime?

e-Plutonia (66.79.XXX.XX)
    UP at May 19 2004 12:26:00 PM (GMT -8:00)
    Was down for: 05hr 00min

I didn't remove that uptime service, on my old managed.com box, and I get a mail about it being down, was that global downtime ?

This should actually be moved to the outages forum.

Best regards.

I was using my server at managed.com just after that time and it wasn't down for me

I had no problems aswell

No problems here either. Coming up to 1 month with 100% uptime now.

I just leased a server from managed.com have I made a mistake

Originally posted by kash
    relax, managed server is very good IMOP

Originally posted by advancedp
    No problems here either. Coming up to 1 month with 100% uptime now.
    thats great

If you think you made a mistake pay it 1 month and stop it then

But i think they are quite ok...especially cuz i live in europe and my server is in the US...the connection is amazing.

I have had 1 month uptime already

So far im pleased with managed.com

Personally, I do not think you have made a mistake but I probably would not be saying this if I experienced some of the problems faced by some of the people on this forum. I haven't really needed to e-mail for a reboot so cannot comment on the response times nor have I required any support. As mentioned in other posts, I believe this is where managed is lacking. The network has been excellent IMO and upon purchasing the server I purchased server management from Donna and the Angel Networkz team who have proved excellent and I would highly recommend them.

from 29th march 100% uptime here
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

My Manged.com Box

My first managed.com machine:

22:56:26 up 55 days, 13:07, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

My second managed.com machine:

22:03:04 up 47 days, 10:08, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

My third managed.com machine:

07:04:18 up 44 days, 19:09, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

And so on (9 - But i can't be bothered logging into all of them)

Can't complain here

Network is fantastic. 100% uptime. Great speeds. I don't know about support, but I believe it's pretty bad. But I don't really need support other than reboot or hardware issues, so everything's been great so far. I would recommend Angel Networkz as well.

Hopefully their single homed connection never goes down. I am not using them for anything important though.

been 100% network uptime for me since I got my new server from angelnetworkz.net on May 15
    ^5
    Hosting is so much fun...

seems like managed is getting their act together
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

Yep, its been up running without any problems since I got it from Angelnetworkz on May 10. So far very good indeed.

Although I have not put any clients in there yet.

FWIW, Managed.com is Jacques Pham's latest operation. (his previous two are econtinents.com and unitedcolo.com) Andrew, one of two techs that worked for United Colo, is working for Jacques again.

Like United Colo, managed.com is a tiny operation (probably just Jacques and Andrew), but I think Jacques learned something from the awful network problems at United Colo and probably has a slightly more robust network this time around.

However, Jacques hasn't ever shown the slightest interest in being honest about anything. He lied his *** off repeatedly to us when we were customers of his, and he lied to everyone about the "2 hour downtime" that was actually 36 hour downtime when they moved all the servers from California to Florida when he sold the operation to Sago.net.

And based on past experience, I'd lay money that managed.com will be a spamhaus if it isn't already, because Jacques simply doesn't care -- he starts the business, sells the services really cheap to get lots of customers, oversells the bandwidth, then sells the whole operation to somebody else and starts over. So he totally doesn't give the slightest crap about long-term relationships or decent service or anything else. Probably in a few months, the bandwith will get overloaded, the IP block will start showing up in blacklists, and all of the stuff that's happened at Jacques' other operations will start up once again.

Only because a kind-hearted soul happened to be in the data center the day they were moving everythign out and called me to warn me were we able to get our servers out of there before they were stolen and sent to Florida without our permission.

And it's also worth noting that it was Emil at Atrivo Networks that saved our *** that day -- we were able to move our servers and restore service to our customers with only about 40 minutes of downtime, including DNS propagation -- we would have lost a lot of customers if we'd had to contend with 36 hours of downtime or whatever it ended up being, and it all could have been avoided if Jacques hadn't defrauded his customers by misrepresenting what was going on.

I'm saying all of this because he's done it twice already... you can bet he'll do it again. If you host with managed.com, I would be very, very careful, and I would have a backup solution ready to go for when they suddenly disappear and resurface as part of somebody else.

wow.. this heavy stuff
    ^5
    Hosting is so much fun...

UnitedColo.com Before it's too bad
    But the Manged.com is 100% good (NETWORK) but them still need more Techinal Support & 24 Hours service reboot ...
    Regards

I did see the connection between Managed and UnitedColo - similar design, cheap bandwidth, similar writing style on WHT, etc. Even though Jacques has denied any connection here on WHT.

Apparently he purchased Unitecolo.com and had it redirect to Managed.com. The connection between the two, as there seems to be, is one reason I worry about them, which is one reason I would never host anything too important with them.

I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though on Managed.com. People change. I think he plans to keep Managed.com. I would. It's a bit different from the others - it has a solid name, good network (although it would be more reliable if multihomed), much larger customer base, and it still has a chance to turn around its reputation, improve support, and maybe increase dividends and eventually turn a profit.

If it does cease to exist though, it was good while it lasted. Cheap, semi-unreliable (although not yet in my experience) servers do serve a purpose somewhere. I think they have plans to become more than what they are right now, though.
    Last edited by Eric M; 05-23-2004 at 06:26 AM.

I have had managed servers before cost me a lot of business due to downtime and 12 hour delays for support.

With one of them I had a faulty IDE cable and the tech kept on telling me that it was a cpanel / whm problem as I could never log in this went on for 3 weeks and 5 support tickets later managed to get someone who could be arsed to actually take a look at the server to find the problem.

I am not saying they are a bad company but I seriously think they need to give better support than they do and take more interest in the software they offer with the packages in stead of the current system where you have to contact cpanel and them at the same time.

It is a case of the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

I will not be using them for a while as it cost me a lot.

FYI Steve Chen of Racklogic.com owns the majority of managed.com. Andrew is Andrew Chen, his son who does a hell of a good job.

Jacques is an owner but Steve owns the majority of managed.com

Originally posted by xAngelx
    FYI Steve Chen of Racklogic.com owns the majority of managed.com. Andrew is Andrew Chen, his son who does a hell of a good job.

Jacques is an owner but Steve owns the majority of managed.com
    Jacques is an owner? Odd that MSG Inc would claim he is "simply a consultant" in this thread