How long does it take to make a Flash website?

We have a project coming up and we must decide on a topic regarding IT. I've chosen Flash animation, and am planning to create a Flash website. This project will be due in approximately 1 month, and I am not quite sure if I have enough time to finish this.

I've never used Flash before, so this could be a problem.

P.S. - What programs can I use to create flash websites, such as http://2advanced.com? Macromedia Flash? Yes I know, I'll never be able to create a site like that, but hopefully I'll produce something similar.

Also, if you know of any good Flash tutorials, please let me know!

Thanks a lot in advance!

I have decided that Flash websites take way too much time. I will however continue towards this direction, and create a Flash intro instead.

But yeah, if you know of any good tutorials, please let me know.

Yes Macromedia Flash, try www.flashkit.com to start with
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

blech

flash takes a long time to author, a long time to dl, a long time to navigate, and all so you can try to take attention away from a complete lack of content on your site and the similarity of your services to everyone else's. Unless your business is flash, concentrate more on making your site deeper and your services better before making me sit there 3x as long so buttons can run away from my mouse and squeek.

god
    -- My software isn't buggy; it develops random features --

canucksfan,

There are alot of people out there that love flash, but there are those that cannot stand it.

I personally rarely use it unless im doing a small animation. I would never design a website made entirely in flash unless I was designing it for an animation studio or an art website.

Most flash websites use the macromedia flash communication server to serve the flash sites. It helps with the delivery of audio/video and makes it stream alot faster. If you're going to do an entire flash website, you might want to do some reseach on the flash communication server.

If you're just doing a company website, I would use flash in moderation, but never do an entire site in flash.
    ~Marque

Flash websites are coming along way. I personally believe all the major companies will have flash websites within 2 years. The ability to feed xml documents and create databases intergrated into the sites is getting easier and easier.

I would not recommend taking on a flash project, if you've never done it before. Flash takes a long time to learn, create, and then maintain.

If you are going to be creating flash sites, its pretty essential to have Macromedia's Flash program, the others just don't cut it.

Best Regards.

Most people that hate flash hate it because there connection is slow and it takes long to download. IMO, these people are hating the wrong thing. I mean most people who complain about flash say omg it takes forever to view your page. Ok, then put down your internet connection not the file you're downloading.
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

I see a flash site, I hit the back button... Period.
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

Flash sites are often confused with flash intros.

Flash is a very reliable product to use to create whatever website, application, or game you need. If used correctly, it can be just as effective as html and won't take away from the content. Lots of people who use flash don't understand that it can be used for other things than intros and button annimations. Sites like www.theory7.com and www.rr.com/flash are great examples of how flash can really be used correctly.

www.flashkit.com is a great place to learn flash, though I doubt you will be able to create something to the callibur of 2A in just a month of learning flash. Keep at it though, something to aspire towards.

Flast site takes some times but you can reduce the time if you:-

before starting plan ever thing what u want to do the layout, contents etc etc.
    most of the time is wasted in deciding the contents and layout during the project. so organize your project in a proper way.

thanks
    virkson

Originally posted by HotLinkHost
    Most people that hate flash hate it because there connection is slow and it takes long to download. IMO, these people are hating the wrong thing. I mean most people who complain about flash say omg it takes forever to view your page. Ok, then put down your internet connection not the file you're downloading.
    I agree that Flash sites are slow. But usually that is the fault of the developer. Because of it's great ability to handle animation it seemed that anyone making a flash site always had to have some slick transitions going on, which the majority of them take a few seconds to play thru. So everytime you click something you just have to wait till it finishes. Even on Broadband that is annoying.
    I also believe Flash has matured into a very cool tool to build web sites with. No reason to shun it at all. It handles dynamic code, XML, etc. Just another tool to use.

Flash is very difficult and if you want to produce something high-quality on your first go, it mightn't be a very good idea. Try to make something that incorporates flash maybe, like a flash intro.

bah

Those of us who hate flash sites don't hate it because our connections are slow. I use one of 3 connections at any given time... gov't lan (as far as I can tell we're lan'd to my machines at he... 10mBYTE throughput =PP) university lan and home 3mbit dsl. I still hate flash. Actually, I hate the way it's used. Flash should NEVER EVER EVER be used for navigation... ever. I can't ctrl+f for a link if it's in flash, thunderbird's type-a-link thing is rendered useless. When I mouse over a link, I don't want to wait for 5 minutes while it spits sound at me and moves and crap. I want to be able to click the fricking link. And guess what, I want that link to show up in my browser window the SECOND i click it.

I don't browse for entertainment (usually); i browse for information. If you're a web host and someone's trying to compare 50 hosts, they're gonna <- +back on you if your site takes forever to load because he could look at 5 other sites faster. And forever doesn't necessarily mean minutes 'cause of dialup. The meaning of SLOW changed when everyone got broadband duh. The difference is still big enough to notice.

That said, I dont hate flash when it's used (imho) correctly. In my view correct view of flash would be some sort of technology or skills showcase or demonstration, howto animation, entertainment, multimedia player l&f. These are ideal uses for it and people expect the larger dl times that they require because these are conscious browse-to items. Clicking a link to a homepage off google and being faced with a flash dl and a bunch of sound and stupidity is NOT what it's all about.

And flash isn't hurd. If you have a graphics/animation background it's ezer than html/css/javascript/[insert serverside tech here]. But as little as the world wants to admit it and is trying to hide it, writing cross-browser compatible, backward compatible, maintainable, clean, accessible, standards conformant code for browsers IS coding, not graphics and creating tasteful and otherwise nifty graphics is graphics, not programming.

The web is about information, and people shouldn't have to play games to get to it, so take it easy. there's a place for flash, but it's not in navigation. Fine if you wanna make an animated banner out of it. God knows it's better than animated gif =]. but flash developers shouldn't be doing complete websites. They don't know wth they're doing. Sorry, but it's true. I have yet to see a hosting site done in flash that checked my browser capabilities and found out i didn't have the plugin (at which point it should route me to a different page, or dynamically replace the flash navigation with an html/js one). Sorry, but you can't just do flash. You need us programmer/html/web people.

And you can say 'if you don't have the plugin u must be bass ackwards' all you want, but i'm just one more bass ackwards guy who can't navigate your site and sees a bunch of broken imiages/puzzle pieces (and what about those text browser users? I've been stuck on one of those, or ns4.7 before. What if I was a customer of yours and needed a support email or phone number but couldn't find it 'cause I couldn't get off your home page?).

kay i'm done.
    -- My software isn't buggy; it develops random features --

Please correct me if I am wrong, but dont the search engine bots hate an all flash site also? Are they able to spider a flash site? I didnt think they could??
    Keith Gallant
    JustHosting.ca
    http://www.justhosting.ca

Flash takes 2-3x longer for me to develop. Too long. Not worth it. What's the point? All the flashy stuff doesn't get customers.

plus when i use flash on my sys its a plugin that has to load like JAVA
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Frankly speaking I don't like flash websites, though I'm not against of easy flash header of even intro...

Completely flash websites are not SE friendly and not usable.

But if I decide to make a get a professional flash site, I'd rather buy this one or this pretty one
    Last edited by Maxxximus; 05-26-2004 at 11:58 AM.
    Regards,
    Maximus

I'd say stay away from flash. Like they've said, maybe an intro would be okay, but I find flash sites to be pretty slow, cumbersome, and annoying.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

It's a shame amatuers use flash poorly and ruin it's benefits. when used correctly, flash can really compliment a site.

Originally posted by oahu_surfa
    It's a shame amatuers use flash poorly and ruin it's benefits. when used correctly, flash can really compliment a site.
    I agree. IMO, too flashy flash is bad bad bad.

I am definitly against flash websites, unless done for a special purpose.

Alot of newb users and experienced users are too lazy to install Flash player into the web browsers that dont natively contain it (Mozilla and Netscape, and I'm sure others) and wont be able to see the site at all.
    Also, Flash is invisible to most handheld internet browsers and PDA's.
    Alot of search engines cant index flash, and most people hate the load times and how long it takes for those stupid animations people like to use when switching pages.

My favorite thing about flash is "skip intro"

Originally posted by konokohost
    I am definitly against flash websites, unless done for a special purpose.

Alot of newb users and experienced users are too lazy to install Flash player into the web browsers that dont natively contain it (Mozilla and Netscape, and I'm sure others) and wont be able to see the site at all.
    Also, Flash is invisible to most handheld internet browsers and PDA's.
    Alot of search engines cant index flash, and most people hate the load times and how long it takes for those stupid animations people like to use when switching pages.
    To lazy to install macromedia flash? I don't know about other browsers (since I only use ie), but in ie if you don't have flash installed it pops up a notification asking to install and if yes is clicked it installs it in the background. If you're to lazy to click yes, then you don't need to be on a computer, lol. Luckly my flash animated navigation bar only takes about 1/10th of a second off navigation time.

Originally posted by Debz
    My favorite thing about flash is "skip intro"
    I, personally would never make a flash into for a business site.

It boils down to how it's used.

It's useful for online demos, instructional purposes, cd-roms, and to show off your ability to make something creative.

It also depends on the type of site you are viewing. Flash is great for displaying multiple messages in a smaller area of a website, whether it's for a corporate site or personal resume.

An interactive agency would most likely benefit from the use of flash, since the target client would be looking for that and it would show their capabilities right away.

Flash provides both functionality and "wow factor". If used correctly, it will keep your visitor's attention and, hopefully, draw them in to browse your site more.
    OrangeCountyHosting.com - Affordable, Fast, Reliable Web Hosting! Your 1st month is FREE!
    Orange County California Directory - Online Directory of Orange County Businesses, Cities, & Links!

Even Though

Even though my fabulous fully-flashed site downloads effortlessly on 56K, and you can use the Back button as you can with a regular website, I still had to come up with a "HTML Text Only Version" in order to please my client base. I am amazed at how much traffic my text only version receives.

vizantgroup . com

SmR

I don't think flash only sites are any good, especially not if used the wrong way, which is usually the case.

I don't hate flash though, i think it can be a great addition to a site or a site-element, but there always needs to be a backup. When someone hasn't got a flashplugin installed and doesn't want it as well, the flash part needs to be auto replaced by html or something else, mixed media should be universal.

There is a reason btw why the macromedia site isn't all flash only.

About searchengine indexing.
    Flash will be indexed correctly by google in the very near future, at least that's what i read somewhere a while ago