1 domain, multiple servers?

Which is the best way to do it. I have one server that is reaching max clients. I want to add another server.

Should i have NS3 and NS4 as the second server?

Or have a totally different dns for the new server?

Which is the better route?

I would use 2 or 3 servers for Dns for all the web sites and not have every server run dns.

i would continue w/ ns3/4 for the second server. Just to keep things in some kind of order so you can easily identify things.

actually, as zinet posted, that would be even better do you know of any how to's or something on how that should be set up....

How would i Do that? isnt that costly to have 3 servers using dns only? or what do you mean

If you use rsync to keep the dns server synchronized it is really easy. Just use a cron script to sync every 15 mins. Rsync only transfers the changes so it takes verry little bandwidth. If you have lots of clients all with the same name servers then if you want to change them to a new hosting server it will be easy. If you have diffent name servers for each hosting server if you want to move an account you will have to get the client to change their name servers at the registrar and that will take 24-48 hours and could cause some downtime.

I just purchased a second server and I am have a nameserver problem. Here is an example of my setup...

Server #1 has the domain abc.com. This domain is registered. The nameservers for this server are ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com. The hostname of this server is hosting.abc.com. The ip address for the nameservers are 11.1111.11 & 11.1111.12.

Server #2 has the domain abc.com but it is not registered. The Nameservers for this server are ns3.abc.com and ns4.abc.com. The hostname of this server is hosting2.abc.com. The ip address for the nameservers are 22.2222.22 & 22.2222.23.

I had a problem that hosting2.abc.com could not be found. Even though these two servers are not clustered, I had to add a dns zone on Server #1. So I added a dns zone on Server #1 for hosting2.abc.com that uses ip address 22.2222.22. This seemed to solve this problem.

I have registered ns3.abc.com & ns4.abc.com at the registar.

Should I also add a dns zone on Server #1 for each of the two nameservers (ns3.abc.com & ns4.abc.com) to point to 22.2222.22 & 22.2222.23?

Originally posted by zinet
    If you use rsync to keep the dns server synchronized it is really easy. Just use a cron script to sync every 15 mins. Rsync only transfers the changes so it takes verry little bandwidth. If you have lots of clients all with the same name servers then if you want to change them to a new hosting server it will be easy. If you have diffent name servers for each hosting server if you want to move an account you will have to get the client to change their name servers at the registrar and that will take 24-48 hours and could cause some downtime.
    You shouldnt need to update your dns records your self.. every popular dns server has a master->slave(s) feature and the dns servers transfer the data by them selves.